Why become a member? ×

We are just a pub band, and we are playing on the radio live!

thebrig

Just by sheer luck, or chance, or being in the right place at the right time, whatever it is, we are actually playing “live” on the radio in a few days’ time, but we are just a pub band and we know we need to get this right first time.

We have been given the chance to play one song which we know well, but I’m now starting to worry about making mistakes even though I/we have never cocked it up when playing it live before, so calling out to all you FAR more experienced players than us out there, please give me/us some tips to calm the nerves! :huh:

Edited by thebrig

Well done for the opportunity! A few years ago we had the luck of playing live on BBC Radio Surrey. It was much less nerve-wracking than I'd thought, largely because it was difficult to imagine people listening and seemed more like just playing to a couple of guys in a room. There was an interview too and the DJ was easy to chat to so it was just a nice, fun occasion. So just relax, play something you're confident with and just enjoy it. Let us know when you're on!

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1471805648' post='3116039']
Which station? Don't think about the potential listeners, when you're playing you'll be in a studio with no one else in there so just treat it as a rehearsal ( with no swearing or messing around ;))
[/quote]BBC Radio Shropshire, The Colin Young Show, it will be a very relaxed atmosphere in a local pub, I'm looking forward to it, but...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1471809914' post='3116091']
But do you consider yourselves to be "musicians"?

:lol:
[/quote]I've come a long way in just a few years in the latter stages of my life, from the "Dog & Duck" to "The Bear" in Bridgnorth, and I'm still not sure! :)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1471809808' post='3116090']
For starters drop the were "just" a pub band. Your a pub band and there's nothing demeaning or lower rung about it.

Blue
[/quote]Your right Blue, just being humble, that's all!

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1471810510' post='3116102']
Good for you, hope it goes well. Will you be using my old P bass?
[/quote]Hi Gary, it's a toss up between your old 75 P bass, and the 71 P bass I acquired recently that is well and truly road worn.
Both great basses I might add! :)

As said above, well done on getting this opportunity - I'm sure you'll ace it and it'll be a lot easier than you imagine. I've never played on the radio (not been playing that long) but I have been interviewed live on air as part of a charity event I was taking part in. You do worry about it before hand (especially as I can stutter badly when nervous) but the DJ was brilliant and I was just chatting quite naturally almost on a one-to-one basis. Nothing to worry about really - do a few songs before hand as a soundcheck come warm up and once you start playing your chosen track to air it'll go like clockwork.

Ooh, one final thing - make sure you get someone to record it for you for your own records / publicity.

[quote name='Ashweb' timestamp='1471822553' post='3116204']
As said above, well done on getting this opportunity - I'm sure you'll ace it and it'll be a lot easier than you imagine. I've never played on the radio (not been playing that long) but I have been interviewed live on air as part of a charity event I was taking part in. You do worry about it before hand (especially as I can stutter badly when nervous) but the DJ wasbrilliant and I was just chatting quite naturally almost on a one-to-one basis. Nothing to worry about really - do a few songs before hand as a soundcheck come warm up and once you start playing your chosen track to air it'll go like clockwork.

Ooh, one final thing - make sure you get someone to record it for you for your own records / publicity.
[/quote]Thanks for the encouraging comments, we are really looking forward to it, but we are a little bit nervous. :unsure:

They said they will send us the recording, but the show will be available for 3 months on BBC iPlayer, so we will have plenty of time to download the show from the internet as well.

I remember we got called in to guest on local radio. We were interviewed and then had to play a live acoustic version of Angels ( it was a long time ago). I was shaking like a leaf even though I'd sang it loads of times in pubs. It's knowing that if you muck up, people ARE going to notice , unlike when you are playing In a pub!