Why become a member? ×

Running synth/ Sub bass effects in parallel?

DanEly

I'm really tempted to start running all my synth effects (like my Micro Synth) in parallel when I play live.

At the moment I'm using a Boss line selector to split my signal at the start of my board and send my meatbox signal to a DI to the front of house whilst the rest of my board runs through me amp etc. So I can run my board without have the DOD effect my "clean" signal and mother effects.

What I really want to do is be able to also send my micro synth out to the same DI my meatbox is going through. Now this is where I am left a bit puzzled. I'm using a programmable looper to control my pedal board and the meatbox/LS2 is in front of the looper. I can't think of a way to control my micro synth via the looper but send the signal to this second DI. I want to keep the toe tapping to a minimum as I'm already doing a lot.

Any ideas? Maybe I should draw a diagram...

[quote name='DanEly' timestamp='1471807379' post='3116056']
What I really want to do is be able to also send my micro synth out to the same DI my meatbox is going through. Now this is where I am left a bit puzzled. I'm using a programmable looper to control my pedal board and the meatbox/LS2 is in front of the looper. I can't think of a way to control my micro synth via the looper but send the signal to this second DI. I want to keep the toe tapping to a minimum as I'm already doing a lot.
[/quote]

you dont need to split your signal pre meatbox.... The meatbox has a TRS out, with the dry signal and the wed signal out seperatley. so you could send the wet to the DI. thus freeing up the LS2 for another purpose. i realise it still does not solve your problem... but it might help.

the way i see it if i understand correctly s that you want to split your signal twice, so 3 signals (clean, meatbox, synth) then you want to mix two of them (meatbox and synth) into a DI for the desk? and another two (synth and clean) into your amp?? you just dont have enough mixers and splitters....

does your DI have 2 inputs? as i think that might work. imagine the synth then LS2 in a loop, the LS2 splits the signal (post synth) back to the looper and also to the 2nd input of the DI (if you have one)....if you dont have one, this may be the cheapest solution to achieving the setup you describe.

i hope that helps

Change loopers. Get something like the boss es8. It has a stereo out that you can program to come in and out with the one side going to a DI. So always running A as your main to amp and then hitting a preset and B would come in with the MB and Synth. It's like running two amps.

I think I've gathered what you want and you might be able to do it with what you already have.

First you'll need a cable with one stereo TRS jack to two mono TS jacks. They are commonly known as insert cables, low profile ones for pedalboard use are hard to come by but can be custom made. This will save you using the LS-2 to split the signal before the Meatbox, as we'll need to use this pedal as a mixer later!

Secondly you need another signal splitter before the synth rig. You can use a blender or LS-2 for this, but also a stereo chorus pedal or even a Boss tuner, so try to use something you already own if possible.

Then the LS-2 can be used to blend the Meatbox and Synth and send to the DI. You might be able to just plug them into the return sockets with noting in the main input socket or sends, I'm not sure... otherwise you can route the Meatbox through the main LS-2 main input and the synth rig through one of the returns. Whatever way works to get it to behave like a mixer!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1472026757' post='3117718']

Then the LS-2 can be used to blend the Meatbox and Synth and send to the DI. You might be able to just plug them into the return sockets with noting in the main input socket or sends, I'm not sure... otherwise you can route the Meatbox through the main LS-2 main input and the synth rig through one of the returns. Whatever way works to get it to behave like a mixer!

[/quote]

You can do this but you need to plug something into the input, I used to use one of those wee to big headphone adapter things. That then allows you to basically use the ls2 as a 2 to 1 mixer.

I thought as much, most pedals do naff all without something in the main input. But you can just use the Meatbox signal as the main input, and blend that with the Synth in one of the loop inputs, which will save you a few grams on your pedalboard!

This way should work as well and do without the need for an additional signal splitter... (the LS-2 hookup looks confusing because I don't know how to use Visio properly, but its just the meatbox in one loop and the synth pedals in the other):

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='DanEly' timestamp='1471807379' post='3116056']
I can't think of a way to control my micro synth via the looper but send the signal to this second DI.
[/quote]

Does the OP want the synth pedal to be audible from the amp as well as the DI?

if so, im not sure the first diagram will do that.... i haven't quite figured out the 2nd diagram yet.... there seems to be a disconnect between the bass and the synth/meatbox chain???

Both diagrams achieve the same thing, I just lost patience getting the arrows to look right! The LS-2 takes loops A + B (Meatbox + Synth), blends and sends them to the DI. The dry feed from the Meatbox is used to go to the rest of the pedals and rig.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1472131442' post='3118760']
Both diagrams achieve the same thing, I just lost patience getting the arrows to look right! The LS-2 takes loops A + B (Meatbox + Synth), blends and sends them to the DI. The dry feed from the Meatbox is used to go to the rest of the pedals and rig.
[/quote]

i cant figure out how the looper would be used to controll the synth in these scenarios....

i was thinking this....

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1472170636' post='3119175']
You could go:

Bass > meatbox (dry out)> looper
....meatbox (wet out) > ls2 return a
Looper (output #) > synth> ls2 input
Ls2 send a > looper return #
Ls2 output > di.

Then just put ls2 in a+b mode, a knob controls how much synth to di, b knob how much meatbox to di.
[/quote]

you win! :rolleyes: