Why become a member? ×

Ampeg flip top B15 series

Ghost Rider

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]I've been hankering for one of these for a while so the million dollar question is, are they worth it? [/size][/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I already own a vintage fender bassman (For sale at the moment on this forum) 135 head & 215 cab so is the Ampeg worth it?[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Anyone got one on here that can shed some light, is there much difference between the vintage ones & the reissue stuff.[/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#141414]There are several sub-varieties to this general model but here is a few links.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]http://www.ampeg.com/products/heritage/b-15/[/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]http://www.ampeg.com/products/diamondbluebass/b15/[/size][/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Cheers. [/font]

Personally I'd be looking at an original, hand built one rather than the more recent PCB effort which is big money considering how it's built. Over £2.5k new for PCB mounted valve sockets...

I'd buy a Trinity TripTop myself...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1471932929' post='3116990']
Personally I'd be looking at an original, hand built one rather than the more recent PCB effort which is big money considering how it's built. Over £2.5k new for PCB mounted valve sockets...

I'd buy a Trinity TripTop myself...
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have a read up on the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Trinity TripTop :)[/font][/color]

I had an old 1978 Bassman 135 until I started developing a small but manageable hernia. The B15 would be my dream rig but I've never personally played through one. I have wound up with the Ampeg Portaflex now, which seriously raised its game with the introduction of the PF50t head.

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1471938832' post='3117029']
I had an old 1978 Bassman 135 until I started developing a small but manageable hernia. The B15 would be my dream rig but I've never personally played through one. I have wound up with the Ampeg Portaflex now, which seriously raised its game with the introduction of the PF50t head.
[/quote]

Have you got a porteflex combo or head & combo? There is that many portaflex options (Or so it appears). The PF50t looks great.

[url="http://performermag.com/instruments-and-gear/instruments/bass-instruments-and-gear/ampeg-pf-50t-tube-bass-amplifier-head-review/"]http://performermag....er-head-review/[/url]

Cheers :)

I've got to sell my bassman before I buy an another amp so here's hoping it sells as I have GAS!!!

Edited by Ghost Rider

[quote name='Ghost Rider' timestamp='1471940442' post='3117040']
Have you got a porteflex combo or head & combo? There is that many portaflex options (Or so it appears). The PF50t looks great.
[/quote]

I run the PF50t into the Ampeg Portaflex PF115he. I've had that cabinet for about 3 years and originally had the PF500. However when I saw the PF50t I had a rare relapse of GAS. However what Ampeg got wrong was the first run of cabs (6 months of production) had different internal bracing so the head didn't flip over properly. I liked the head enough to sell my cab and re-buy the same cab but newer - so perfect fit. Luckily I sold on Facebook locally so I didn't take much of a hit. It's a great rig now. Perhaps unwisely I flightcased it for tours but have an amp cover for local shows.

[attachment=226204:RetroRig.jpg]

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1471947625' post='3117133']
I run the PF50t into the Ampeg Portaflex PF115he. I've had that cabinet for about 3 years and originally had the PF500. However when I saw the PF50t I had a rare relapse of GAS. However what Ampeg got wrong was the first run of cabs (6 months of production) had different internal bracing so the head didn't flip over properly. I liked the head enough to sell my cab and re-buy the same cab but newer - so perfect fit. Luckily I sold on Facebook locally so I didn't take much of a hit. It's a great rig now. Perhaps unwisely I flightcased it for tours but have an amp cover for local shows.

[attachment=226204:RetroRig.jpg]
[/quote]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Thanks for all that info, its really appreciated. Does the PF50t come with any kind of case or is it meant to go into the cab? Reason I ask is that after looking at the two portaflex 15 cabs, one being the [/size][/font][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#000000"]PF-115LF & the other being the PF-115HE the only main difference I can see is 50 watts of power & the fliptop is 50 quid more. I'm thinking would the sealed cab be better that the fliptop cab? [/color][/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#000000"]Cheers[/color][/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#000000"] [/color][/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4] [/size][/font]

I had an immaculate '67 B15 for a couple of years. Sounded lovely but not really useable for anything other than home practice or recording.

It now resides in a studio where it belongs :)

I did get to try one of the new, top of range, models once but only for about 5 minutes before I got hustled off by Darryl Jones, lol.

It was a thing of great beauty but I couldn't really tell how different it sounded from my original.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1471971839' post='3117370']
I had an immaculate '67 B15 for a couple of years. Sounded lovely but not really useable for anything other than home practice or recording.

It now resides in a studio where it belongs :)

I did get to try one of the new, top of range, models once but only for about 5 minutes before I got hustled off by Darryl Jones, lol.

It was a thing of great beauty but I couldn't really tell how different it sounded from my original.
[/quote]

That was a cool looking and sounding amp Barrie - and it had the most wonderful vintage aroma about it that you just don't get from new amps. Probably has a few stories to tell too.

But yes, wasn't really a gigging amp - and it has it's own unique sound which will not be to everybody's tastes.

I also went after one of those heritage hand wired ones... but then realised the money they wanted would buy you a mint 60s one - and that would defo hold it's value better. I've seen people trying to offload those special rereleases and they were all losing money.

Still, would love one to have in the corner of the room. :)

The advantage of the Heritage B-15s is that despite being rated at 25/30w, they are monstrously loud, too loud in fact for my home studio, hence my selling mine and moving to an old 70s' WEM that despite being rated more powerful is far far far quieter.

Well below is my review of the Ampeg B15n heritage reissue I got off Beadster, I've gigged it a few times and it's plenty loud enough and sound great, although she is quite a big girl!
Whilst these are pretty damn expensive, you get the reliability of a modern new well engineered amp, and the great sound and look of a vintage classic, is it worth the money?

[URL=http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/chrisanthony1611/media/image_zpsvsfenudl.jpeg.html][IMG]http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r776/chrisanthony1611/image_zpsvsfenudl.jpeg[/IMG][/URL]

I got this off Beadster a couple of months ago and now have the opportunity to gig and practise with it. It certainly looks the business but can it deliver, and will it stay with me?

This is a very expensive reissue of the classic Ampeg B-15, it has two channels, one based on the 1964 circuit and one based on the 1966 circuit, the 1964 being 25 watts and the 1966 the full 30 watts which may appear somewhat modest, however these are Ampeg Valve watts that we're talking about!

[URL=http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/chrisanthony1611/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3fqw6afl.jpeg.html][IMG]http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r776/chrisanthony1611/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3fqw6afl.jpeg[/IMG][/URL]

Well it's first run out was at a rehersal and it held its own quite nicely with an un miked drummer, guitarist and Hammond keyboards, with the volume at about 1 o'clock through either channel, i was concerned that this would not be loud enough but it certainly did not appear to be the case at rehearsal, I found the 1966 channel a little thin for my liking, but the 1964 channel was pure silk and sexiness, I'm sure that some people would prefer the 1966 channel but for what I play the 1964 channel sits pretty perfectly. (Plus my Precision is from 1964!!)

Did another rehearsal with a brass section who were also un miked and had to turn down so they could be heard, (three saxaphones and a trumpet)

I've now gigged with it twice, once in a pretty average size pub with a decent turn out of punters, and the second in a medium sized hall, I found pretty much the same, the volume slightly higher at 2 o'clock, the first set through the 1966 channel and the second set through the 1964, and again I found the 1964 channel was silk sexy but not so keen on the 1966, and the feedback from those that came to watch was it sounded pretty awesom regardless of the channel....

[URL=http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/chrisanthony1611/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsuw9cz0fx.jpeg.html][IMG]http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r776/chrisanthony1611/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsuw9cz0fx.jpeg[/IMG][/URL]

Where most combos I've had you really have to think twice when the volume knob gets towards 2/3 o'clock, this thing just breezes on past all the way to maximum, and it will give you great tones and more volume all the way through, with just a touch of overdrive and break up as you get towards the top end. I found that I would need the eq so that the bass was about 3 o'clock and treble at 1 o'clock for a nice fat sound. My worries that it would not be loud enough were totally unfounded, it is way louder than the SWR Redhead I previously owned, and I think it would keep up pretty well with a Walkabout. I did a decibel test alongside my Mark bass CMD121p and she was lagging behind by 1 or 2 decibels, but certainly sounded better at those volumes.

[URL=http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/chrisanthony1611/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4lwkr7tp.jpeg.html][IMG]http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r776/chrisanthony1611/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4lwkr7tp.jpeg[/IMG][/URL]

Not only does this thing look super sexy, but it sounds it too, it's perfectly able to gig small to medium venues and of course you can drop it down to 4 ohms and throw an extension cabinet at it if needed!

So will I be keeping her is a decision I need to make now, and that brings about the two negatives with this Amp. The first being that it is an extremely expensive piece of kit, you have to pay for this type of quality! I've been very careful where I take it so far, and I certainly don't want this to be banged about by other people's gear whilst they're setting up, it has a high quality Ampeg cover, but still a crazy legged Guitarist could do quite a bit of damage trying to squeeze past and giving it an expansive blow with his roadworn strat.....

The second negative is the weight of this thing, again there is always the argument that the weight is a sign of the quality, but I've got used to taking my super lightweight Mark bass gear with me which also happens to sound pretty good, and although this does have casters and the head folds down very nicely into the cab for transport, I have found transporting this a little bit of a hassle...

I may decide just to leave it set up in my lounge and use it as a rather extravagant practise amp that just gets the occasional runout, or it may be in the classified section in six months time, time will tell, but this is a rather fine Amplifier of bass guitars which certainly sets the benchmark when you want the best of tones.

[quote name='Ghost Rider' timestamp='1471964423' post='3117294']

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Thanks for all that info, its really appreciated. Does the PF50t come with any kind of case or is it meant to go into the cab? Reason I ask is that after looking at the two portaflex 15 cabs, one being the [/size][/font][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#000000"]PF-115LF & the other being the PF-115HE the only main difference I can see is 50 watts of power & the fliptop is 50 quid more. I'm thinking would the sealed cab be better that the fliptop cab? [/color][/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#000000"]Cheers[/color][/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#000000"] [/color][/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4] [/size][/font]
[/quote]

Probably giving you the benefit of my O level in the bleedin' obvious here, but the 115HE has a horn, so covers a little more ground if you want some highs. Having said that, I have one and have the horn turned off all the time, so I could understand if you didn't think you'd need it.

[quote name='Ghost Rider' timestamp='1471964423' post='3117294'][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Does the PF50t come with any kind of case or is it meant to go into the cab? [/font][/quote]

It screws onto the top of a portaflex cab and then is flipped into the cabinet for storage. If you had two cabs the lids are interchangeable. So no case, but I guess if someone wanted it one could be acquired.

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1471981708' post='3117483']
Well below is my review of the Ampeg B15n heritage reissue I got off Beadster, I've gigged it a few times and it's plenty loud enough and sound great, although she is quite a big girl!
Whilst these are pretty damn expensive, you get the reliability of a modern new well engineered amp, and the great sound and look of a vintage classic, is it worth the money?

[url="http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/chrisanthony1611/media/image_zpsvsfenudl.jpeg.html"][/url]

I got this off Beadster a couple of months ago and now have the opportunity to gig and practise with it. It certainly looks the business but can it deliver, and will it stay with me?

This is a very expensive reissue of the classic Ampeg B-15, it has two channels, one based on the 1964 circuit and one based on the 1966 circuit, the 1964 being 25 watts and the 1966 the full 30 watts which may appear somewhat modest, however these are Ampeg Valve watts that we're talking about!

[url="http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/chrisanthony1611/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3fqw6afl.jpeg.html"][/url]

Well it's first run out was at a rehersal and it held its own quite nicely with an un miked drummer, guitarist and Hammond keyboards, with the volume at about 1 o'clock through either channel, i was concerned that this would not be loud enough but it certainly did not appear to be the case at rehearsal, I found the 1966 channel a little thin for my liking, but the 1964 channel was pure silk and sexiness, I'm sure that some people would prefer the 1966 channel but for what I play the 1964 channel sits pretty perfectly. (Plus my Precision is from 1964!!)

Did another rehearsal with a brass section who were also un miked and had to turn down so they could be heard, (three saxaphones and a trumpet)

I've now gigged with it twice, once in a pretty average size pub with a decent turn out of punters, and the second in a medium sized hall, I found pretty much the same, the volume slightly higher at 2 o'clock, the first set through the 1966 channel and the second set through the 1964, and again I found the 1964 channel was silk sexy but not so keen on the 1966, and the feedback from those that came to watch was it sounded pretty awesom regardless of the channel....

[url="http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/chrisanthony1611/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsuw9cz0fx.jpeg.html"][/url]

Where most combos I've had you really have to think twice when the volume knob gets towards 2/3 o'clock, this thing just breezes on past all the way to maximum, and it will give you great tones and more volume all the way through, with just a touch of overdrive and break up as you get towards the top end. I found that I would need the eq so that the bass was about 3 o'clock and treble at 1 o'clock for a nice fat sound. My worries that it would not be loud enough were totally unfounded, it is way louder than the SWR Redhead I previously owned, and I think it would keep up pretty well with a Walkabout. I did a decibel test alongside my Mark bass CMD121p and she was lagging behind by 1 or 2 decibels, but certainly sounded better at those volumes.

[url="http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/chrisanthony1611/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4lwkr7tp.jpeg.html"][/url]

Not only does this thing look super sexy, but it sounds it too, it's perfectly able to gig small to medium venues and of course you can drop it down to 4 ohms and throw an extension cabinet at it if needed!

So will I be keeping her is a decision I need to make now, and that brings about the two negatives with this Amp. The first being that it is an extremely expensive piece of kit, you have to pay for this type of quality! I've been very careful where I take it so far, and I certainly don't want this to be banged about by other people's gear whilst they're setting up, it has a high quality Ampeg cover, but still a crazy legged Guitarist could do quite a bit of damage trying to squeeze past and giving it an expansive blow with his roadworn strat.....

The second negative is the weight of this thing, again there is always the argument that the weight is a sign of the quality, but I've got used to taking my super lightweight Mark bass gear with me which also happens to sound pretty good, and although this does have casters and the head folds down very nicely into the cab for transport, I have found transporting this a little bit of a hassle...

I may decide just to leave it set up in my lounge and use it as a rather extravagant practise amp that just gets the occasional runout, or it may be in the classified section in six months time, time will tell, but this is a rather fine Amplifier of bass guitars which certainly sets the benchmark when you want the best of tones.
[/quote]

Thanks for that, That's a great review & it has taken my GAS onto another level... :)

• Like 1

• 5 years later...