Why become a member? ×

Gut strings your views

thebigyin

[quote name='mtroun' timestamp='1472151474' post='3118966']

If you've been playing a week, I think finding a good teacher should be your foremost priority.
[/quote]
I'm not interested in lessons to be honest there's lots of information on line which I have found very helpful i bought the Bass purely for fun as i have wanted one for about 20 years and i have played Electric Bass for many years and just transfering knowledge from that onto Upright and finding my own style and technique but thanks for your reply Cheers Bob

[quote name='The Jaywalker' timestamp='1472164859' post='3119130']
Ok. Don't want to rain on your parade here - but you've been happy to take everyone's advice on this thread and have been very gracious about it.
Take lessons. There's a lot of info on YouTube, yeah - but most of its crap. Any idiot can post a video. Your 20 years experience on electric bass counts for very little as techniques on both instruments are COMPLETELY different. Take it from a pro on both. As for "finding your own technique"... You've seen the size of the thing! Double bass technique has developed out of logistical necessity - if you want to be able to play to any kind of jazz standard it's not an option. I know this probably sounds a bit harsh - and if you're just wanting to have a bit of fun and not take the instrument too seriously, then that's cool - but, as an advanced pro bassist and teacher, that's where it's at.
[/quote]
Thankyou Jaywalker i will certainly take on board what you have said and agree with your comments about some of the youtube vids i must admit they vary drastically in quality of information ect....i will be very honest my experience of lessons in the past as been one of well that was a waste of money playing either Electric Bass or Acoustic or Electric Guitar....we only have one Bass tutor in Grimsby and I went to him for Electric Bass lessons many years ago but it wasn't a great experience so I think it's left a bad impression...i don't drive so I don't know of anyone else....if I could find someone who i could feel at ease with i would take them thanks once again i appreciate your reply and help cheers Bob

It seems to me that the best thing for you to invest a little money in straight away is a trip to the Double Bass Bash in Derby in a few weeks time. There will be a variety of people, playing in various styles and if you ask any of them nicely, I'm sure they'll let you try their bass and their string choices - I certainly would. Honestly, even if only 10 people go, you'll not get a better opportunity to discover the double bass and it's many nuances. Last year there was a very healthy turnout.

I see you don't drive, and that you are in Grimsby. I live near Scunthorpe and am planning to go, so if you are interested, and if my plans remain on track, I might be able to squeeze you in (I will be taking my bass, amp, maybe a couple of cabs and another buddy, but there should be room for another person).

Edited by invicta59

I always wondered what guts would be like & after a while put a full set of plain guts on (I play country & Rockabilly) but took them back off after a short while.
I'm now back on innovation golden slaps,which I really like as they are much easier to play & sound really good especially when amplified.
Plus I just got sick of constantly trimming hairs,sanding & oiling them,now I just wipe my strings after use.

[quote name='invicta59' timestamp='1472207877' post='3119425']
It seems to me that the best thing for you to invest a little money in straight away is a trip to the Double Bass Bash in Derby in a few weeks time. There will be a variety of people, playing in various styles and if you ask any of them nicely, I'm sure they'll let you try their bass and their string choices - I certainly would. Honestly, even if only 10 people go, you'll not get a better opportunity to discover the double bass and it's many nuances. Last year there was a very healthy turnout.

I see you don't drive, and that you are in Grimsby. I live near Scunthorpe and am planning to go, so if you are interested, and if my plans remain on track, I might be able to squeeze you in (I will be taking my bass, amp, maybe a couple of cabs and another buddy, but there should be room for another person).
[/quote]
Thankyou very much for the offer i will see what I can do and get back to you cheers Bob

You're not interested in a teacher? To be honest, that is the most obstructive statement ever. I bought an upright after many years of bass guitar. I taught myself. Due to my pig-headedness, I now have arthritic and deformed knuckles on my left hand. I eventually figured I needed a teacher, but the damage had been done. Don't worry about strings, use the money for lessons.

[quote name='Marty Forrer' timestamp='1472690089' post='3123399']
You're not interested in a teacher? To be honest, that is the most obstructive statement ever. I bought an upright after many years of bass guitar. I taught myself. Due to my pig-headedness, I now have arthritic and deformed knuckles on my left hand. I eventually figured I needed a teacher, but the damage had been done. Don't worry about strings, use the money for lessons.
[/quote]
Only one Bass tutor in Grimsby and I have contacted him but he's to busy i had Electric Bass lessons with him many years ago....so i will just plod on regardless i don't take it seriously so not that fussed to be honest

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1471974321' post='3117402']
You could have had mine gratis Marc, played them for about 20 minutes and have never hated a set of strings more :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Why that's a very very kind offer good sir :)
Wish I'd known that before ordering my set. Still haven't arrived - don't think they've even been dispatched yet....

Just wondering why you didn't like them too?

Cheers all

[quote name='Marty Forrer' timestamp='1472690089' post='3123399']
[/quote]

I think that's quite a rude comment. The attitude in question is not in the least obstructive, it is simply a statement of how the O/P wants to go about things. You may have damaged your hand through bass playing, although given there's no control group for these things, it may have been caused by bass playing, made worse by bass playing or actually have nothing to do with bass playing - you could simply have an existing disposition to this kind of condition. Either way, I'm sorry to hear about your injury. However, there are thousands of self-taught musicians who manage to play competently and without injury, and sometimes do so better than their well-taught counterparts. Certainly whether taught or untaught, like athletes and performers generally, musicians need to monitor both pain and movement quality, and take action if either appear to be worsening, and it's perhaps that, not the source of technical learning, that is the key factor in injury prevention.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1472716362' post='3123495']
Why that's a very very kind offer good sir :)
Wish I'd known that before ordering my set. Still haven't arrived - don't think they've even been dispatched yet....

Just wondering why you didn't like them too?

Cheers all
[/quote]

I'll send you a set and you can answer the question for yourself Marc :)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1472719259' post='3123540']

I think that's quite a rude comment. The attitude in question is not in the least obstructive, it is simply a statement of how the O/P wants to go about things. You may have damaged your hand through bass playing, although given there's no control group for these things, it may have been caused by bass playing, made worse by bass playing or actually have nothing to do with bass playing - you could simply have an existing disposition to this kind of condition. Either way, I'm sorry to hear about your injury. However, there are thousands of self-taught musicians who manage to play competently and without injury, and sometimes do so better than their well-taught counterparts. Certainly whether taught or untaught, like athletes and performers generally, musicians need to monitor both pain and movement quality, and take action if either appear to be worsening, and it's perhaps that, not the source of technical learning, that is the key factor in injury prevention.
[/quote]
Thankyou Beedster i have no aspirations i play bass because I enjoy it admittedly only had the Upright a fortnight i also play Electric Bass, Acoustic Guitar a bit of Drums occasionally and have sang in many Bands i like music full stop realised nearly 40 years ago i was never going to make it but played hundreds of local gigs thanks again Bob

I meant to add, re the comments about posturing, and holding the bass correctly etc (sorry it's slightly off topic)
But there are also some good Youtube videos out there, which start with posture / holding the bass correctly too
Along with right and left hand techniques - might be useful to look at these thebigyin :)

Cheers

EDIT: Such as this one on discoverdoublebass.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD8qKV9aWD4

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1472727595' post='3123681']
I meant to add, re the comments about posturing, and holding the bass correctly etc (sorry it's slightly off topic)
But there are also some good Youtube videos out there, which start with posture / holding the bass correctly too
Along with right and left hand techniques - might be useful to look at these thebigyin :)

Cheers

EDIT: Such as this one on discoverdoublebass.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD8qKV9aWD4
[/quote]
Thanks Marc will take a look

• 1 month later...

I've had gut strings on now for about three years or so. There is no other string like Gut. Yes there are tuning issues but you get used to that quickly. Maintenance is not an issue. I haven't done anything with them in all the time I've had them.
The sound is seductive. They are just begging you to Swing. The low tension is much easier on the hands than steels.
You can bow them but I have to say that the G sounds too harsh to use in a serious ensemble. Ok to bow the lower strings for the obligatory long note at the end of a ballad etc.

[quote name='marvin spangles' timestamp='1476092199' post='3151083']
There is no other string like Gut. Yes there are tuning issues but you get used to that quickly.
[/quote]

Amen to that. There are time when I think I must be mad to play guts and only guts, and then I play other strings and realise that I can only get the sound in my head by playing hard to maintain, hard to tune, hard to intonate and often hard to articulate strings. Worth all of the pain though :)

I think that since Evah Pirazzi light are availiable, most Jazz players I know have switched to them, some are playing G and D Oliv and A E Evah. Plain gut has a very weak sound (much less volume than wrapped ones), rough sound and it is tough to get a good and clean intonation, they also lack in sustain. Sythetics like Evah or Velvet are a good compromise because they have much more volume and sustain. Evahs also bow much easier than plain gut. Wrapped gut strings like the Oliv have a nice bounce and bottom but the A and especially the E is quite weak which I find absolutely off putting. This is the reason so many players rely on Evahs, especially for A and E.

Edited by BaconCheese

" Plain gut has a very weak sound (much less volume than wrapped ones). "
Hi comrade
Not sure what gut strings you base this comment on . In my experience the opposite is true. Quality gut strings are louder than all the strings I have ever used on my bass. I use Gamuts
Lyon G
pistol d
And wrapped A and E.
Maybe others have a different experience?
I should add that I'm lucky enough to have two basses . Jazz bass strung with guts . Classical bass with Spiro Weichs.

Edited by marvin spangles

I dont know about the Gamuts, but there are not many gut strings made in Europe, so I tried the Lenzner and they were good in terms of bounce and bottom but lacking in volume and clarity compared to a Spiro weich string. It does not really matter much if you choose to amplify the bass,anyway. I also tried a set of Eudoxa once and was very disappointed with the lack of volume, especially A and E were quite terrible. I must say that it is indeed not just a matter of the materials used, but a matter of the construction- the Sonores are gut strings, but at least the strings intended for bowing are more like a refined version of the Corelli metal strings I have used for years.

So I guess I have to admit that my comment about gut strings as sounding weak only applies to my personal experience with the above mentioned strings- the Gamut may sound very good played pizz if they are intened for this purpose.

Edited by BaconCheese

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1471881463' post='3116668']
I use Gut-a-like as they are more stable for tuning. I can't imagine ever using steel again.

[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/gutalike_vintage_double_bass_strings.htm"]https://www.thomann....ass_strings.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Wish someone nearer to me used these strings - I'd really like to give them a try....