Why become a member? ×

Eminence at the Green Man Festival

petebassist

Interesting to see Chris Price of North East folkies The Unthanks playing an Eminence upright at the Green Man Festival, Crickhowell/Crughywel, Wales at the weekend. Looking at their international touring schedule I don't blame him for not trying to take a full size acoustic upright around the world.
What an amazing set though, and the band sounded great to my ears.
I contacted Smart Distribution about Eminence prices recently but got no response.

Edited by petebassist

I've got an Eminence EUB too. I saw some youtube footage of a few different players, and it's an EUB that sounded good to me, albeit on compressed youtube footage on a laptop lol. Anyhow, I saw one for sale second-hand, and went for it. It does need some careful EQ'ing, but you can get a great sound from it. Mine wasn't set up very well, and I've done that myself - that said, it could do with a visit to a proper luthier

Saw an instructional video on them somewhere, and in that video (taken by a US shop, selling them) they said the action was very high out of the box, and said they set up the ones they had before any were shipped out to customers. I contacted the guy who sold me mine, and he admitted he hadn't really done anything much to it before selling. In fact he admitted he didn't find it particularly easy to play - so that's why he sold it....

I really like mine, and it's so portable compared to a full bodied BD. Not quite as small and compact as the Stagg EUB I previously owned, but much better to play, and much better sounding... If you'd have posted this before returning home from the festival, you could have popped in to my place in Cardiff on your way home, for a dabble on mine, and had a cuppa too :)

Cheers and good luck with finding one
PS. At one time, there were 2 for sale on here

EDIT: PPS, saw the Unthanks at Cambridge a couple of years back, and I think he had an Eminence there too

Edited by Marc S

Marc, thanks, that would have been great to pop in and have a cuppa, a very kind offer. Not sure you would have appreciated my being covered in mud and "unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed" from the festival.
Was just thinking about having something more portable for rehearsals & tiny venue gigs.
Let me know when you're playing a gig and I might just be able to come along.

[quote name='petebassist' timestamp='1471948587' post='3117146']
Marc, thanks, that would have been great to pop in and have a cuppa, a very kind offer. Not sure you would have appreciated my being covered in mud and "unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed" from the festival.
Was just thinking about having something more portable for rehearsals & tiny venue gigs.
Let me know when you're playing a gig and I might just be able to come along.
[/quote]

Ah, I've been to a few festivals myself, and am well aware of the dazed and unwashed state of those attending such events. In fact, I didn't mention that the cuppa & play on my bass wasn't in the garden, did I? ;)
I've not been playing DB / EUB much at all lately, owing to a foot problem, and a band folding. Foot now appears to be on the mend (slightly anyway) and new band joined, in which I can play DB - so I'll let you know

The Eminence is much more portable than even my David Gage Czech Ease (which has a reduced size body) And as the Eminence has a small acoustic chamber / body you do get some acoustic qualities, unlike many stick basses. Having said that, have you ever heard a Yamaha SLB Silent Bass? From the soundclips & demos I've heard, it sounds very DB-like

Cheers again sir :)