Why become a member? ×

Pup and Preamp Upgrade?

tobiewharton

Hi all,

I'm considering upgrading the Bartolini MK1 pups and preamp on my Cort B5. I want more bottom end and greater articulation over all, but love the feel of the bass and its weight. The MK1s are 108mm x 34mm and the string spacing at the bridge is 16.5mm, so that discounts some pup replacement options. I use super light gauge Newtone nickel roundwounds, which are wonderful. My budget's £250. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Tobie

Is the pre amp Bart too..?? my feeling is that if the bass has a certain pricepoint, then the pre amp will be where they 'compromise'

I changed the pre amp on a Fender as the stock one is pretty s*** and a decent pre amp rescued the pickups.
I'm tempted to do the pickups at some stage, maybe but I need to swap out all the Fender hardware first..:lol:

I had a Bart mk1 pups and pre loaded Cort A6 which like you I loved to play but I wanted a bit more depth and weight in the lows. I was planning to change to an Aguilar OB3 pre-amp but ended up selling the bass to go back to playing 5 strings.
I believe Aguilar also do a soapbar pup which is a straight drop in for the Bart units.

Edited by Painy

Yeah, the MK1's left me wanting in a couple of basses. For that particular size, then I think Aguilar DCB, Nordstrand and Delano SBC (5 driver I think) should be up on your list. Very nice pups! I do agree that the preamp should probably go too and thus any of these brands preamplifiers are really nice. I;m currently using the Glockenklang 3 band preamps, which are very clean sounding.

[quote name='tobiewharton' timestamp='1471901866' post='3116911']
Cheers gents. I do like the Glock and Delano preamps that I've heard. Haven't seen Delano soapbars though - could be a gooden. Fine with the narrow spacing? Reasonable?
[/quote]

Yes, like the DCB, the SBC pickups use rails rather than pole pieces so string spacing isn't a problem. The 5 string Driver model is the same size as the MK1. The Delano pups are very nice. I'm usually an EMGer but you won't find a Bart shaped stock EMG, but the Aguilar is, really is a super contender.

Edited by dood

Swap the preamp, nothing wrong with the pickups IMO, a lot of folk wire them passively. The stock pre is ok but the frequencies aren't to my liking, even a £30 Artec (they do one with a sweepable mid) will be a good drop in replacement.

Still amazes me how companies can get the bass and treble frequencies wrong on preamps.

EDIT: I have the same bass btw.

Edited by lemmywinks

Cheers for this lemmywinks. I mainly use the bass in passive mode anyway, but still not keen on the pups to be honest. I find them thin and unresponsive at the bottom end, with a perceptible 'popping' on the attack. Shame, because I think the highs are pretty good. Still love the bass overall anyway - amazing value.

Dood and others, which in your experience are the most hi-fi out of the Delanos, Aguilars and Bart P2s?

Thanks again,

Tobie

Passive mode on the Cort B5 isn't actually passive IIRC, it's an eq bypass which still uses the preamp, I think it's just a lower output rubbish preset tbh which tries to mimic a passive sound so doesn't give a true impression of what the pickups sound like. I would wire them straight to a jack first to see if you like the sound of the pickups, might save you a bit of money. Alternatively you could sell the bass and get the new model with the Markbass eq.

I usually set the bass at centre, roll off [i]a lot[/i] of mids and lose a touch of treble as a starting point then eq it back on my amp. Got some very good sounds out of it that way but before I got a Sire V7 I was planning on sticking a different preamp in and keeping the pickups.

Edited by lemmywinks