Why become a member? ×

GK MB115 not MB150 Combo

Chienmortbb

I have the chance of one of these and looking at the specs on the GK site it looks good.

However the UK distributor and dealers are offering the MB115 Mk 2 although there is Only one mentioned on the GK site.

Is this a case of a problem product "rebranded" to infer the problem is fixed.

Has anyone any info on this range?

Edited by Chienmortbb

I own one that is 24 years old this year so I'm sure its the MK1 and I cant comment of the newer ones... mine has done thousands of gigs and never missed a beat... still sounds great with any bass, electric or upright as long as you use it sensibly and dont expect too much... for acoustic or low volume gigs the combo itself is more than enough but for louder gigs you can disable the internal speaker and drive either one 4ohm or a pair of 8ohm cabs using the head alone... a very handy feature that was ahead of its time back when I bought it... for 150w into 4ohms that head really packs a punch and has the classic GK tone in spades... These days I only use it for smaller acoustic gigs but it spent many years as my main gigging amp... all in all it is probably the most useful piece of bass gear I've bought in the past 25 years :)

They've been around for ages. Nice little amps but don't go very loud, nothing like some of the 'modern' small combos.

Not giggable on its own unless you're in a small jazz type band.

Can work well with double bass but still relatively low volume.

They often pop up very cheaply on the used market but be sure to check them over first as some of them have a habit of blowing the power amp section if pushed hard.

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1471904100' post='3116931']
I have been offered it for £80. Couldvprobsmly get it for £70.
[/quote]

Sounds about right, Last one I saw was £75.

Just make sure you give it a really good check over to be sure everything is working first.

Just bought this. It is the Mk 1 Silver Grill version. According to the guy I bought it from it was gigged 4 times and it is immaculate.

He through in a cover and still had the Owner's Manual. I gave home the full £80 asking price and it was a steal.

Pics to follow. Problem. I gave hit my global limit for pics. I will upload to my website and link to it later.

Edited by Chienmortbb