Why become a member? ×

Best lightweight cabs (on a budget)

James901

I'm looking at pairing 2 x 210's up with a micro head such as the TC BH550. So far I've considered the Fender Rumble 210's and the TC K-210's. Portability and weight are of the upmost importance due to a dodgy back. Would love to hear of any more suggestions. Also looking to buy used.

Thanks!

Edited by jimi_1985

[quote name='mrn1989' timestamp='1471941595' post='3117060']
Markbass Traveller 102P cabs come up second hand for £250ish each. The sound great and are the lightest 210 on the market, well worth considering
[/quote]
I loved my MB 2 x 10's and would still be using them, had I not needed to go even lighter in weight.

[quote name='jimi_1985' timestamp='1471907191' post='3116955']
I'm looking at pairing 2 x 210's up with a recently purchased TC BH550. So far I've considered the Fender Rumble 210's and the TC K-210's. Portability and weight are of the upmost importance due to a dodgy back. Would love to hear of any more suggestions. Also looking to buy used.

Thanks!
[/quote]

The TC K Cabs are a very nice pairing for both of the BH amplifier heads. I recently reviewed the entire range of K cabs with a BH head. For the price they are very good. The cabinets are very well made too and feature Lavoce drivers which aren't cheap tat at all. I'm surprised that there isn't more chat about them here on BC.

[quote name='jimi_1985' timestamp='1471907191' post='3116955']
I'm looking at pairing 2 x 210's up with a recently purchased TC BH550. So far I've considered the Fender Rumble 210's and the TC K-210's. [u][b]Portability and weight are of the upmost importance[/b][/u] due to a dodgy back. Would love to hear of any more suggestions. Also looking to buy used.

Thanks!
[/quote]

I agree that the Markbass 2 x 10 traveller cabs are excellent. I had a pair several years ago and only sold them due to moving to Barefaced cabs.

Which brings me to recommend buying two used Barefaced Midgets, the previous models known as G2. They are lighter and smaller than the Markbass 2 x 10s plus louder and more full range, especially if you buy the tweeter model. I sold mine last year for £300 each.

Frank.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1471945702' post='3117113']
I went with Barefaced, although not 2 10's. I've got a Big Baby and a Super Compact. As yet I've not gigged the Compact but the BB has been impressive.
[/quote]

I went from x2 Markbass Traveller 102p cabs to a 2nd Gen BF Super 12 and it was great but it made me realise that I preferred the coloured sound of Markbass cabs and that I'm not so much of a fan of the mid bump.

Im now using x2 EBS ClassicLine 112 or the EBS ClassicLine 210 and they are the best cabs I have very used, love the sound although they are not so lightweight :(

Edited by mrn1989

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1471945702' post='3117113']
I went with Barefaced, although not 2 10's. I've got a Big Baby and a Super Compact. As yet I've not gigged the Compact but the BB has been impressive.
[/quote]

The Barefaced would be my recommendation but I realise that the OP was looking for a 'budget' conscious offering. I'd certainly say it's worth saving up for the BB(2) or in my case, I went with the Big Twin II. My back is SO happy now, even climbing winding stairwells!

[quote name='mrn1989' timestamp='1472043365' post='3117940']
I went from x2 Markbass Traveller 102p cabs to a 2nd Gen BF Super 12 and it was great but it made me realise that I preferred the coloured sound of Markbass cabs and that I'm not so much of a fan of the mid bump.

Im now using x2 EBS ClassicLine 112 or the EBS ClassicLine 210 and they are the best cabs I have very used, love the sound although they are not so lightweight :(
[/quote]

I'm intrigued by the EBS Classic 112.

I've seen the quoted weight at both 15kgs and 17.5 kgs.
I've seen comments that they look dreadful behind the grills :blink:
Are they powerful?

I had 2 x TKS 112'S and they sounded lovely, but they simply did not have the power to go against mic'd up snare/bass drum and two Black Star'd guitarists.

[quote name='sratas' timestamp='1472103420' post='3118470']
2 x 210 lightweight affordable great sounding cabs? Super easy. Ampeg svt 210 av. Two of them cost less than a 112 from many other brands, weigh nothing, and sound superb. What's not to love?
[/quote]

Only 200 watt per cab.
Handle on top makes it awkward for some micro heads.
No speakons.

Well, you did ask.
Still a good shout though :)

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1472090244' post='3118457']

Are they powerful?

I had 2 x TKS 112'S and they sounded lovely, but they simply did not have the power to go against mic'd up snare/bass drum and two Black Star'd guitarists.
[/quote]

I find them plenty powerful, Ive used two of them for outdoor gigs without PA support whilst guitars and drums mic'd and the Reidmar 250 hasn't been above 4. Ive just got my hands on the CL210 as well which is also fantastic and with a 1x12 on top will be perfect for me. Used only the 210 at rehearsal on Tuesday, despite being initially unsure of the capability of the 250w 8ohm cab it handled it perfectly.

I will upload a gut pic for you :)

Guess only slightly heavier maybe just more awkward to carry, its impressive how Markbass make such a compact powerful and light cab in the 102P.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1472090244' post='3118457']

Are they powerful?

[/quote]

IIRC, the EBS are rated 250w each..so no more than TKS.
However, I'm surprised about the perception they aren't loud enough. I've been running mine outside against loud drums and a 5150 and the bass reaches the back really well. I say this because I've heard recordings and the bass defo wasn't light. I'd be wondering what on earth the gtrs were doing, tbh

Having said that, the TKS aren't budget cabs in any respect even if they aren't the most expensive

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1472150829' post='3118956']
However, I'm surprised about the perception they aren't loud enough. I've been running mine outside against loud drums and a 5150 and the bass reaches the back really well. I say this because I've heard recordings and the bass defo wasn't light. I'd be wondering what on earth the gtrs were doing, tbh

Having said that, the TKS aren't budget cabs in any respect even if they aren't the most expensive
[/quote]

Surely it would be more meaningful to compare volume displacement, rather than wattage, as an indication of the cabs capabilties?

Frank.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1472150829' post='3118956']

[/quote]

It's no perception. The TKS 112'S were not powerful enough for me. End of. My opinion etc.
And the gtrs were helping the band to get return gigs each year for 5.5 years.

Its not necessarily all about the wattage as thats just the driver rating. The size, shape and design of a cab can make a big difference to its performance and power.

Plus preference on the EQ'ing as well makes a big difference. Im a bit of a bass and treble boost and a slight mid cut but surprisingly the Classicline 1x12s do a superb job.

If you weren't so far away @karlfer you could come try them

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1472195776' post='3119245']
:blink:
Feel sorry for you ears Karl!! :lol:
[/quote]

Pardon ? :P

[quote name='mrn1989' timestamp='1472202567' post='3119340']
Its not necessarily all about the wattage as thats just the driver rating. The size, shape and design of a cab can make a big difference to its performance and power.

Plus preference on the EQ'ing as well makes a big difference. Im a bit of a bass and treble boost and a slight mid cut but surprisingly the Classicline 1x12s do a superb job.

If you weren't so far away @karlfer you could come try them
[/quote]

Really kind, thank you. And some very pertinant points.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1472164463' post='3119127']
It's no perception. The TKS 112'S were not powerful enough for me. End of. My opinion etc.
And the gtrs were helping the band to get return gigs each year for 5.5 years.
[/quote]

I'm never going to say the TKS are the loudest..I think they trade tone for volume to a degree but I can't imagine the gig they couldn't handle. Those gtrs must be very loud.
I have to wear plugs with just the one gtr and if I have to wear them there is a fair chance others should need to as well... The fact that they probably don't is another issue which will get more and more serious in the next few years, IMO..but that is another topic entirely.
I also think 2x112 have a limit to what they can cover...just as other configs do ... but I can't see the EBS's cabs doing it either then.