Why become a member? ×

Vocal harmonizer/harmoniser

NancyJohnson

Unsure whether this is the right place to post, but here goes.

I generally handle backing vocals for my band and I'd say that while my range and pitch is decent enough, I'm honest enough to say on record (m'lord) that my timbre is quite thin and nasally, so things need phattening up.

I'm looking for recommendations for a vocal harmoniser box of some sort. I've watched a few You Tube videos and they all seem much of a muchness, but detrimentally they only seem to be demonstrated by solo acoustic artists, rather than in a band environment.

So I'm looking for advice really...we play punky/rocky stuff. I'm really unsure whether it's actually throwing good money at something that's a bit crap.

Ive also only seen them used in solo acts on youtube, I found they get a bit lost in a loud rock band type situation (we used to have a TC one, can't remember which model) plus the one we used had lots of feedback issues. Hope this doesn't sound contrite but you would be better off spending the money on a few vocal coaching lessons to help improve your technique if you think you're a bit "nasaly" - is that even a word?! :D

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1471937599' post='3117022']
Hope this doesn't sound contrite but you would be better off spending the money on a few vocal coaching lessons to help improve your technique if you think you're a bit "nasaly" - is that even a word?! :D
[/quote]

This!
Practice time beats cash spent on tin boxes.

Plus... you may be critical of your own vocals, but how does it sound in the mix? Hitting the right notes (especially if you're singing harmonies) is most of the way there.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1471935276' post='3117005']
Unsure whether this is the right place to post, but here goes.

I generally handle backing vocals for my band and I'd say that while my range and pitch is decent enough, I'm honest enough to say on record (m'lord) that my timbre is quite thin and nasally, so things need phattening up.

I'm looking for recommendations for a vocal harmoniser box of some sort. I've watched a few You Tube videos and they all seem much of a muchness, but detrimentally they only seem to be demonstrated by solo acoustic artists, rather than in a band environment.

So I'm looking for advice really...we play punky/rocky stuff. I'm really unsure whether it's actually throwing good money at something that's a bit crap.
[/quote]

I'd look at something like the TC Helicon effects boxes. If you're worried about your timbre maybe one that does EQ and a bit of slapback delay for thickening/doubling sounds rather than full harmonies? The Mic Mechanic is probably the lowest tier one, that does Delay/Reverb/Pitch Correction/EQ in stompbox format.

I don't think it's necessary to go as far as taking vocal lessons...I've never really had an issue singing off any key, my pitch is pretty good and I breathe well, it's just the thickness of my singing voice that's amiss. (I do not sing from my diaphragm.)

We recently changed guitarists and when the old guy stepped up for choruses as well, it was just fantastic. I always alikened his vocal quality as being like Steve Jones of The Sex Pistols, it gave everything a powerful, gruff, aggressive quality, whereas my vocals come over like a whiney Liam Gallagher! We were good for each other in that sense. I'm sure the new guy will step up when he's ready, but for now I need some kind of stomp box to give me some help.

Edited by NancyJohnson

I blagged a 2nd hand boss VE20 of basschat

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ve-20-Vocal-Performer-Effects-Processor/dp/B002W0Z8DU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471950949&sr=8-2&keywords=boss+ve+20

I play in a rock band and in that situation the harmonys sound pretty damn good. It will do 3rds, 5ths or 7ths both above and below your voice. It can go a bit OTT if you're not careful though, overall a useful bit of kit albeit not cheap if bought new. My singing voice like OP is a bit thin so I'll say this could work :)

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1471945551' post='3117111']
I don't think it's necessary to go as far as taking vocal lessons...[/quote]

I don't think it's necessary to go as far as purchasing a pedal!

Maybe try some vocal coach tutorials from YouTube as a taster, you might be surprised at what you can do with technique alone. Mouth shape, mic position, etc can make a big difference.