Why become a member? ×

Fane Sovereign 10-125

Twincam

Hi, it looks like they've changed the design of this speaker again. I've just compared today's spec sheet with that of 2008 when I bought my speakers and one from about 4 years ago and on each the specs vary by enough to need a redesign of a suitable cab. The latest specs claim an improved excursion (Xmax) of 5mm compared to 3.2mm a few years back but Qts which is important in fitting the cab to the speaker has gone up to 0.65 from 0.5 in the latest version http://www.fane-international.com/prod_details.aspx?pid=534 . This means it is no longer suitable for a ported cab and in a sealed cab will have a bit of an upper bass hump and reduced bass extension. It has a pleasant sounding hump in the upper mids though and might sound quite nice as a 4x10 or 8x10, sort of Ampeg like. It's not far off being a clone of the Eminence Alpha 10.

The 10-300 seems to have been a more stable design but has a very flat response making it a bit colourless as a driver in it's own right. This is from personal experience. It has a really well controlled bottom end but I'd only use it with a horn of some sort if I wanted to use it for bass. It has a huge magnet for a 10 so weighs quite a lot as a 2x10.

Shame as the 2008 version of the 10-125 had a great sound for bass and I still use mine in a 2x10.

I'd currently go for the Beyma SM110 as the best value cheap 10" speaker.