Why become a member? ×

Overdive pedals, on the prowl..

tommorichards

Im looking for a pedal. A specific pedal. Im not up for all out fuzz, but more like playing a very low wattage amp and getting distortion from it. Anyone use a pedal for something similar and point me in the right direction? Youtube demos a plus.

Ive had a look round and most seem to just do fuzz.

The Tech 21 character series does the whole 'pushed valve amp' wonderfully well. They are very strong tonally however and don't have a blend so will tend to make you sound like which amp the pedal is emulating... Could be good or bad. Luckily I leave mine on all the time - I use it as a preamp - so it's not an issue for me.

Lots to choose from in this area, depending on budget. Are you after a brighter more clanging sound, or a more vintage/wooly/thumpy sound?

The VT Bass is a top shout, I liked it so much I bought the VT500 amp. The DI, amp, and Fly Rig variants also have a 'bite' switch unlike the others (they have the bite permanently baked in), turning that off gives you access to some nice mellower sounds too.

Bearfoot Blueberry, Aguilar Tonehammer, or Xotic Bass BB Preamp would be my recommendation then. Also heard good things about the Creation Audio Grizzly but I can't vouch for it personally.

SolidgoldFX Beta, Catalinbread SFT and Way Huge Pork Loin are all good for this also (but I preferred the ones previously mentioned to these).

Edited by dannybuoy

it's a bit difficult to tell with the acoustic sound of the bass mixed in there. Out of my collection of dirt pedals, I'd try my tube screamer (high gain, low tone) and my danelectro french toast. Two very different pedals, but I reckon I could get close to that sound with either one.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1472045261' post='3117965']
My votes would be for a COG 66 or an Xotic BB Bass Pre

Simples :)

Si
[/quote]

can't argue with this, but I'd add the SS/BS mini to the list too, does a lovely overdrive, but for playing finger style, BB kills

edit: just watched the video - I don't want to be one of those guys who recommends whatever he has just bought, but the SSBS mini is spot on for this, though from videos I've seen, the beta is similar too.

Edited by GazWills