Why become a member? ×

Waves plugins

lurksalot

I have heard good things about these guys and during a recent special offer giveaway type thing I have bought a few new VST's. , I think they are great and will use them , but the hassle of getting Reaper to load them has been totally off putting. Each time it's the same , the latest attempt being to update reaper and uninstalling waves central snd starting again , is this normal ? If it us I will leave them alone next time :(

Edited by lurksalot

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1471993014' post='3117596']
I have heard good things about these guys and during a recent special offer giveaway type thing I have bought a few new VST's. , I think they are great and will use them , but the hassle of getting Reaper to load them has been totally off putting. Each time it's the same , the latest attempt being to update reaper and uninstalling waves central snd starting again , is this normal ? If it us I will leave them alone next time :(
[/quote]

I've never had an issue with them but I use protools. Sometimes it takes me a few minutes to remember how waves central works though :lol:

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1472021533' post='3117664']
I've never had an issue with them but I use protools. Sometimes it takes me a few minutes to remember how waves central works though :lol:
[/quote]

This. My Waves plugins are my 'go to' plugins (they're actually set as 'default' EQ and compressor on each new audio track on my system) and the RBass and impulse reverbs are amazing.

Waves Central is a necessary evil - folks crack software, and this is the price we pay for it; it's more straightforward than other software licensing though.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1472042345' post='3117924']
Cheers guys , I understand reaper is not supported , but if I know what I need to do its not so bad , learning how to faff around each time is a total PITA, especially as I want to play with my new toys , not spend 2 hours trying to open the box :)
[/quote]

I've not had any problems at all on the Mac. 64bit Reaper version if that's any help?

• 2 months later...

I've given up with Waves products, as I found 'em to be too pernickety (a technical term...) concerning recognition of their own licences, and needing too-frequent web access. I don't mind buying stuff, but I'd like just a little trust from the sellers that I'm not a pirate. I don't have these intrusions with other software folks. A shame, as they have some decent enough stuff, but my patience (what little I have left...) got worn too thin to put up with the nonsense.

I got past my Reaper recognition by just ignoring it !
The first time reaper ran with the waves plug ins , it threw up a non recognition of an application file , I clicked past it but it threw it up again :angry:
After a while I realised it was doing it for each part of the plug in ie Gtr3 has about 12 vst parts so it kept bouncing me out , but by just closing each warning and ignoring the problem , it just went away :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

I remember being completely unable to get a free Waves plugin licensed through Waves Central and gave up on them completely. I totally understand developers needing to protect their software (and I'm proud to say that everything on my PC is legit) but at times it feels like we're being punished for being honest.

I used to use Waves a lot, I started using them over 10 years ago. At the time, they were better than a lot of inbuilt stuff and worth the money. Problem is, as they've grown they've released plugins that are really quite niche and also expensive, and most of their analog emulation plugins were great at release time but have been surpassed by far newer, cheaper plugins (Slate Digital, anyone?).
I think they're largely cashing in on their size for reputation, and they're good because they're big, therefore they must be good.
In the live arena, you can use their plugins in a lot of live desks which makes them hard to beat in that arena, but for studios i've moved on.
Apart from the Puigtec Pultec emulations, i've not heard a better one yet.

• 1 month later...