Why become a member? ×

Modulus Graphite?

MiltyG565

Curiosity got the better of me this morning, and I searched to see what was happening with Modulus, as for a long time I've coveted their "Flea Bass" Funk Unlimited range. I remember a few years ago, the company seemed to be going under, but after looking on their website today, it seems they are alive and potentially well.

However the name has changed to Modulus Graphite, and after a bit of reading, it seems the company was bought by a bass shop in the good ol' you-ess-of-ayeh. This has no doubt insured that the company will remain a supplier within the market for the medium term, however when reading further, a couple of other things struck me.

- The basses can now only be bought from that particular bass shop (all previous suppliers have been ditched)
- They're apparently producing 2-4 basses per month, an devoting most of their time to product development (I suspect a polite way of saying they're running a very small scale production line and regularly pull people off the line to help build new models)
- The prices have jumped up a significant amount

I'd probably still buy one if I had the money, but the lack of a UK supplier (and therefore the import burden would fall to me), and the price increase could be a deal breaker.

Interesting, thanks. I remember last time I looked there was a holding page. I'm always interested to hear about graphite neck production as it seems so few offer it now. Will watch with interest - or you keep watching and update us!

I had the 2nd and 3rd basses Modulus Graphite made come through my hands via trades. Both were FU4's and identical quality to the other 3 I've had from Modulus. This was 2 years ago, they landed in UK for just over £3k I believe. I was told an ex employee of Modulus is in the team, I can vouch that they did a great job.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1472032451' post='3117782']
I asked for a quote for a flea 5.

$4999

Before tax.
Before shipping.
[/quote]

Staggering, isn't it?

I don't doubt that they're great basses (I've never played one before, but I love the sound!), but that is a lot of money!

Maybe I'll wait for the pound to rise before placing an order...

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1472032451' post='3117782']
I asked for a quote for a flea 5.

$4999

Before tax.
Before shipping.
[/quote]
You could probably get Rob Green at Status to make you something similar for half that price.

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1472116665' post='3118592']

You could probably get Rob Green at Status to make you something similar for half that price.
[/quote]

Yeah. I'm sorted for graphite necks anyhow. Something - in fact 2 things unexpectedly arrived at my feet the week I had the quote...

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1472117247' post='3118603']
Yeah. I'm sorted for graphite necks anyhow. Something - in fact 2 things unexpectedly arrived at my feet the week I had the quote...
[/quote]
Well, don't keep us in suspenders...

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1472116665' post='3118592']
[/quote]

It wouldn't be a Modulus though.
Carbon Fibre basses vary greatly, the same as any other instruments from different builders - I loved my Zons, and also really liked the few Modulus basses I've played but have yet to play a Status that I like.