Why become a member? ×

giggable amp question - which combo?

big bird

hi guys

want to ask for your views..I have the possibility of buying a:

Mag 300 1x15 combo ...or

ABM C110 Neo combo (it's a neodymium 1x10 with a tweeter)

both are at good prices but obviously the Mag is much cheaper...

my question is - is the 1x10 giggable at all or is it really just studio amp?

I'm thinking small to medium sized rooms
cheers

bb

Edited by big bird

If you get a chance, audition an AER Amp One - an extraordinary unit. 200 watts and a 1x10 but the performance is genuinely staggering. I've seen a lot of players just bewildered at what comes out of an unassuming and compact (but heavy) little box. There's a lot of DSP and filtering going on but it's not just the power - the tone is something to behold (pure and transparent and very capable of an old school vibe if necessary). The compressor is excellent too. They come up on here for around £650 to £700 (but fairly occasionally)

Out of those two, the 1x15" MAG is probably the safer option for standard pub gigging. Although the ABM looks like the nicer amp in terms of quality and features, a 1x10" will only get you so far (though there are one or two more recent 1x10" cabs which do stretch that expectation a little). For low-volume settings like jazz or "acoustic" gigs, theatre pits, studio use etc the ABM would probably be a good amp. It could be used to drive a larger cab, but if you want that sort of modularity then a combo might not be the best choice.