Why become a member? ×

Replacement Jazz Pickups

Number6

Hi folks,

I want to replace the SD Quarter Pounders in my jazz bass. I find the SDs pretty flat with little punch.

I just wonder what is a good replacement for them?

There are such an array of pups out there that i don't really want to go through try and swap try and swap.

So any suggestions good citizens of BC?

Surprised to see that you consider the quarter pounds to not have punch. HAving said that I've not tried them in a Jazz but I have fitted them to a couple of P basses and they were very punchy.

The best sounding Jazz that I've owned, was a Fender 66 with original pups. So I would happily recommend those.

I have fitted Wizard pups to a couple of VM Jazzes and they were a worthwhile upgrade.

If I'm teaching you to suck eggs, please excuse me, but having the strings too far from the pup can lose you a lot of umph.

When the strings are fretted at the bottom of the neck, what is the distance between the bottom of the string and each of the pups? You should find this is no more than about 4mm. I set mine at about 2.5mm, but each to their own - some folk need more space to fret high and dig in.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1472057737' post='3118108']
If I'm teaching you to suck eggs, please excuse me, but having the strings too far from the pup can lose you a lot of umph.

When the strings are fretted at the bottom of the neck, what is the distance between the bottom of the string and each of the pups? You should find this is no more than about 4mm. I set mine at about 2.5mm, but each to their own - some folk need more space to fret high and dig in.
[/quote]

No worries. I do most of my own tech stuff so this is one of the things i adjusted first. I just don't seem to get the oomph that qtr pounders should give.

Ive got a set of Aguilar hot jazz pickups which make for the fattest jazz I've ever heard.

But a few friends have got basses with Lindy Fralins in and they've been amazing!

As the other guys have said tho, check the pickup height. I had a set up and my P bass pickups were set too low. I tweaked them and suddenly it all came to life!

Dimarzio dp123 are really great. I put a set in my old MIM jazz and it was a night and day. They are also dual cool, so no buzz!!

May not be to everyone's tast, but they suited my band really well.

I am currently look at some jazz pickups for my next bass, and probably looking at more of a 60's style. The Aguilar j60, or the fender custom shop 60's that are in the flea bass are also a winner!

Been reading this with intrest, looks like you have all been down the try and test road, while I have not tried most of what you have suggested I have tried a number of jazz pick ups and still have them all. I have a number of jazz basses which all have there own sound, so have tried swapping and changing in them all, what I found was that a pickup that sounds great in one bass sounds pants in another, so I'm taking it that the pick up can only reproduce what the bass is giving it, you know when your in a shop and you try a few jazz basses without plugging them in, one might feel dead and one might feel snappy and alive, that with your own playing tec will as you know have an effect on what the pickup will reproduce,
So it's a suck it and see thing you might have to try a few to get what your after,
What I ended up with is this, the best jazz I have is a jap fotoflame 62 reissue
When I got it I thought the pups were weak (Which were not its original pickups) , tried about 5 pairs, nothing over £50, the best one I found for the rear was one from a highway one I had, which sounded far better than in the highway one, (no matter what I put in the highway one it never sounded any good) in the fotoflame it's alive and sort of gritty biting sound.
the neck pick up I have not a clue what it is, but matched with bridge one it adds warmth to the sound, and mellow when soloed, I use this bass a lot now it does what I want it to do, but would like to try some of the top end ones y'all have mentioned just to see, interesting,

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1472167713' post='3119149']
You might want to buy another bass with active eq or pre-amp for high and low end.

Blue
[/quote]

Blue,

My gigging bass is a Precision and i tend to use the Jazz for home recording. My wife bought me the Jazz so i need to persevere with it ;) ;)

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1472206491' post='3119404']
Been reading this with intrest, looks like you have all been down the try and test road, while I have not tried most of what you have suggested I have tried a number of jazz pick ups and still have them all. I have a number of jazz basses which all have there own sound, so have tried swapping and changing in them all, what I found was that a pickup that sounds great in one bass sounds pants in another, so I'm taking it that the pick up can only reproduce what the bass is giving it, you know when your in a shop and you try a few jazz basses without plugging them in, one might feel dead and one might feel snappy and alive, that with your own playing tec will as you know have an effect on what the pickup will reproduce,
So it's a suck it and see thing you might have to try a few to get what your after,
What I ended up with is this, the best jazz I have is a jap fotoflame 62 reissue
When I got it I thought the pups were weak (Which were not its original pickups) , tried about 5 pairs, nothing over £50, the best one I found for the rear was one from a highway one I had, which sounded far better than in the highway one, (no matter what I put in the highway one it never sounded any good) in the fotoflame it's alive and sort of gritty biting sound.
the neck pick up I have not a clue what it is, but matched with bridge one it adds warmth to the sound, and mellow when soloed, I use this bass a lot now it does what I want it to do, but would like to try some of the top end ones y'all have mentioned just to see, interesting,
[/quote]

Excellent read and really useful :)