Why become a member? ×

Some string advice needed regarding light gauge 5 sets

funkyjimbob

So, for the last few years I have been stringing my two Warwick Custom shop 5 strings up with very light gauge strings. This is my preference so please don't try and change my mind as many have before unsuccessfully. I love the feel of lighter gauge sets and find it so much easier as there is a lot of percussive playing in what I play.

My Infinity was strung 30-110 (elites)
and my Streamer Stage 1 was 35-120 (Rotosound swing bass set)

Now, I find these are two of the only options I have in regards to 5 string 'sets' as most other companies I see start their 'light' 5 sets at .45 upwards (which to me isn't light at all). I find both the elites and the Rotos don't last very long and was looking for some coated strings that fit this sort of gauge but so far I have had no luck. I am just fed up with having to change my strings every few gigs and have been recommended coated sets by others.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good coated string sets that may fit my gauge requirements as I am struggling to find any? I was also told by a friend that I could get away with .40 as he says the coated 'feel different' but i'm sure he is just trying to get me to up my gauge.

Thanks!

Edited by funkyjimbob

Hi Funkyjimbob,

D'Addario make a wide range of gauges in our EXP coated string range. The best way for you to get a light "set" would be to custom build from singles or combine an EXP220 (40-95) with an EXPXLB125 .125 gauge low B. I hope this info helps!

If you want any further info about our un-coated strings I'd be happy to take you through your options here also.

Thanks,

Newtons play light and I use 42-118.

Not super bright but last well and I'm very picky on gauge and longevity.

Send them a mail as to their custom options.. They are very helpful and I'd suggest a 40 or 42 may be worth a punt.
I detune them for one gig by half a step and they are fine.
I use to use 35 and I'm considering going to 45 such as they fit my style and play light.