Why become a member? ×

I'd really like to A/B the Steve Harris and Mike Dirnt Precision basses

Dood

But, where I live, that's a bit like asking to pet a unicorn.

I'm doing a bit of bass related research and these two neck profiles keep popping up on my radar, but alas I've never had the chance to try them out. Asking for experiences I know will help, but as always I need to get them in my own hands to try them.

Finding one is difficult, but both in the same place at the same time!! Ahhhhh!!! ha ha!!

It's all fun isn't it!?

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1472064188' post='3118169']
Well if you don't mind slumming it with a Squier there's a Mike Dirnt in Swaffham on one of the facebook selling pages ;).
[/quote]

Hey Painy! Yes, I'd spotted that one - I'm not sure if they have exactly the same necks. I suspect not. I've got a whole bunch of measurements from Fender but want to know what they feel like in hand ya see :)

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1472066936' post='3118226']
The Mike dirnt is my main gigging bass

If you don't mind the non contoured body the rest of the package suits me well, the tele head, 59CS pup

Always get complements both on sound and looks, and people say much the same about the bass
[/quote]

Ahh ha ha!!! Yes, I can't say I get compliments about my own sounds and looks!

How do you get on with the neck? I've a hankering for a nice chunky bass neck!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1472071683' post='3118317']

Ahh ha ha!!! Yes, I can't say I get compliments about my own sounds and looks!

How do you get on with the neck? I've a hankering for a nice chunky bass neck!
[/quote]the neck is fine and the truss rod is where it should be at the butt end

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1472080987' post='3118435']
Try a Classic 50s as well if you like a chunky neck!
[/quote]

I think, though I'm not sure, I want to stay around the 42mm nut width. Maybe I need to try more before making that a definite. Which is an odd thing as my 7 string is obviously massive in comparison. It's the string spacing in particular.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1472044734' post='3117957']
But, where I live, that's a bit like asking to pet a unicorn.

I'm doing a bit of bass related research and these two neck profiles keep popping up on my radar, but alas I've never had the chance to try them out. Asking for experiences I know will help, but as always I need to get them in my own hands to try them.

Finding one is difficult, but both in the same place at the same time!! Ahhhhh!!! ha ha!!

It's all fun isn't it!?
[/quote]

where are you dood? You're more than welcome to come and try my SH. I'm in Deal, Kent

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1472115206' post='3118572']

where are you dood? You're more than welcome to come and try my SH. I'm in Deal, Kent
[/quote]

Well that is a very kind offer indeed! I'm actually up near Norwich but my OH has friends in Kent. Should we be making it down your way and I'm allowed to break away for some bass time then that's an offer I'd love to take up! Thank you!

Edited by dood

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1472115422' post='3118575']
Well that is a very kind offer indeed! I'm actually up near Norwich but my OH has friends in Kent. Should we be making it down your way and I'm allowed to break away for some bass time then that's an offer I'd love to take up! Thank you!
[/quote]
excellent, I'm very near the train station,(if that helps) kettle's always on (well, the fridge is always full of beer)

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1472116510' post='3118589']
excellent, I'm very near the train station,(if that helps) kettle's always on (well, the fridge is always full of beer)
[/quote]

You're a gentleman!