Why become a member? ×

Cheap P-Bass - Help

samthebassman

I'm looking to buy a p-bass, but a cheap one (i.e. sub £200) as my first adventure into p-bass world (historically I've always gone for basses with as many knobs and switches as I can get for my money!). It needs to look approximately like a fender p, but headstock shape etc, isn't overly important. The market for this type of bass at this price is huge and I don't know where to start. Obviously nothing in this price range is going to be a Fender or a Lakland, but there must be some that are at least playable with a reasonable sound. I've heard that the Encore Blaster series is passable as are Harley Benton precisions (the tele style on that they do looks great IMO).

Any advice on decent cheap precisions?

I picked up an old second-hand Encore P for £95 from Johnny Roadhouse in Manchester last year. It's a perfect clone visually, looks very cool and plays surprisingly well for the price. It's a good enough copy that I can hear and feel the difference from my USA Fender Jazz.

I've got a nice vintage Encore that I'm rebuilding. It's waiting for a new nut but other than that it's almost done. I will probably be looking to move it on.

It's from the 80s and quite reliced, but all genuine from gigging. The body is black with white showing through in the dings and a white pickguard. The truss-rod is adjusted at the heel of the neck. PM me if you're interested.

[quote name='samthebassman' timestamp='1472047357' post='3117991']
I'm looking to buy a p-bass, but a cheap one (i.e. sub £200) as my first adventure into p-bass world (historically I've always gone for basses with as many knobs and switches as I can get for my money!). It needs to look approximately like a fender p, but headstock shape etc, isn't overly important. The market for this type of bass at this price is huge and I don't know where to start. Obviously nothing in this price range is going to be a Fender or a Lakland, but there must be some that are at least playable with a reasonable sound. I've heard that the Encore Blaster series is passable as are Harley Benton precisions (the tele style on that they do looks great IMO).

Any advice on decent cheap precisions?
[/quote]

Cheap is ok... but don't go too cheap, on Precisions.

I'd go for a Squier Classic Vibe series. They are fantastic basses and if you don't like it then you'll know is because you don't like Precisions, not because of the bass. They came in sonic blue and fiesta red. Subsequently they came up with the Matt Freeman and Roger Waters signature basses (maple neck/fingerboard, one cream, one black), and they're every bit as good. It may cost you a bit more than £200 used, but not a whole lot more, and they beat anything else that's cheaper without question.

Edit: I forgot the "Vintage Modified" series... they *can* be pretty good, but shop around. Some are pretty unimpressive while others are quite nice. I still feel the CV series above is superior, 'though, and the price difference is well worth it.

Edited by mcnach

The HB PB50 is still surprising me. It`s a right good bit of kit. If I didn`t have a £700+ Nate Mendel P bass sitting here, I would gig it more. And at around £90 delivered, it`s a steal.

And if you don`t like it, send it back and Thomman give you back your cash :)

I bought a Squier VM Precision for £150 from, I think, Rich Tone Music. It's fantastic for the price. It's one of the older Amber body, maple neck.

If you can't get something similar, then Vintage, Revelation, Harley Benton, J&D ((from DV247).

The only thing I'll add is that second hand Squiers are getting to some silly prices on eBay IMO. £150 for my VM is about right I'd say, some are asking for nearly £250 for the same bass...too much IMO

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1472811508' post='3124413']
USA Peavey hands down
[/quote]
For under £200? I think you'd be lucky. I thought I'd done really well to pick up a US-made Millennium for £230 (ex-Peavey demo stock).

I'd agree with Squier option. - the Matt Freeman is brilliant, one just went on eBay for £199 a couple of days back, the Classic Vibe are also meant to be good. Would go down the Squier route as resale will be easier if you don't get on with it, or if you want to do some mods.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1472076303' post='3118405']

Cheap is ok... but don't go too cheap, on Precisions.
[/quote]

I'd second this and what's written in Mcnach's post.

I'd rather wait just as little as it take to invest £100/150 more and get something which will get you fully satisfied when you have it. It's not nice when you get a compromise you regret just a few days after buying it - or living with the constant "what if..."

If I'm not wrong, both Mcnach and I own a classic 50, so we know what great value for a slightly higher (but very good) price tag means.

It looks like the "selected" Squire series are good and well built instruments, I wouldn't be surprised if their QC is more consistent than some 70s USA batches, build-wise.

Remember that if you realise Ps are not for you, you will retain some value anyway when selling them. But it looks like you're in for that kind of instrument and IMO you won't be disappointed: now, I wouldn't go back to the hi-fi things I fancied before.

I'd also advise against P-like instruments for a simple reason: if you like it, you might regret not having "the thing". But that might just be psychological and YMMV.

Edited by EmaTheMirror

[quote name='EmaTheMirror' timestamp='1472942479' post='3125544']

I'd second this and what's written in Mcnach's post.

I'd rather wait just as little as it take to invest £100/150 more and get something which will get you fully satisfied when you have it. It's not nice when you get a compromise you regret just a few days after buying it - or live with the constant "what if..."

If I'm not wrong, both Mcnach and I own a classic 50, so we know what great value for a slightly higher (but very good) price tag means.

It looks like the "selected" Squire series are good and well built instruments, I wouldn't be surprised if their QC is more consistent than some 70s USA batches, build-wise.

Remember that if you realise Ps are not for you, you will retain some value anyway when selling them. If you buy second hand, I wouldn't see any reason why you couldn't re-sell for the same price, provided it's in the same condition. But it looks like you're in for that kind of instrument and IMO you won't be disappointed: I wouldn't go back to the hi-fi things I fancied before now.

I'd also advise against P-like instruments for a simple reason: if you like it, you might regret not having "the thing". But that might just be psychological and YMMV.
[/quote]

Sorry, re-posted by mistake with my mobile, please remove this post :/

Edited by EmaTheMirror

I got myself a Fiesta red, Squier Vintage Vibe body, on ebay (£70), a Korean Jazz Bass neck (£60) and a Fender Custom Shop 'Custom 62' pickup (£100). And I now have a very nice P bass.

I've been playing it, exclusively, over the last few gigs and the more I play it, the more I appreciate what a P bass can add to a band sound.

Edited by gjones