Why become a member? ×

Spent an hour copping this synth sound

ped

Check out this synth sound I came across on YouTube whilst looking for inspiration this morning

1:41 is the clearest part

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=EMqvc8JUgcg&feature=youtu.be&t=1m41s[/media]

Fairly random song but I love the bass. The band are actually awesome and I've stalked them over the internet today. Wonder if anyone here knows them?

Turns out the synth is a Roland GR Analog synth, vocal mode with some envelope filtering on top. It took me about an hour but starting with the basic patch I was able to get exactly the same sound, albeit on a long scale bass, where it gets REALLY syrupy down to low D.

[quote name='Westenra' timestamp='1472080792' post='3118433']
What is that bar next to the bridge?
[/quote]

That's the Roland pickup, attached to the 'brain' which is stuck onto his bass. You can also install the brain inside the instrument. Having individual processing of each string makes this synth sound so good, I don't think a monophonic filter would track well enough in the fast bits.

[quote name='NoirBass' timestamp='1472192271' post='3119217']
Can you share the patch you made?
[/quote]

Sure - I'll have to simply type the settings down as I haven't got the facility to do a system dump or whatever it's called using MIDI at this point

Start off with the 'Chameleon' preset (I think it's patch 120 unless you've moved it)

COSM bass settings page 1
COSM Bass - on.
Type - Synth
Synth Type - Analog GR
Master level - 100

Page 2
Mode - VCO
Comp - Off

Page 3
Cutoff Freq - 58 (though I adjust this with the knob on the bass to change the sound, 58 matches the video)
Reso - 77
(Env Mod) - ON
Sens - 35
Attack - 25

Page 4
Off

Page 5
(Sweep) ON
Rise - 32
Fall - 24
(Vibrato) - Off

Page 6
EQ - On (but flat, just total gain +10)

Page 7-15 all off/flat

Page 16
String level 100 except G string which I turned down to 30 as it was louder than the others.

----

FX

COMP

ON - Limiter
TRSH - 60
Ratio - 4:1
Attack - 0
Rel - 20
Tone - 0
Level - 62

---

That's it! Tbh it'll differ from one bass to another depending on your pickup install (distance from strings, placement etc) and your playing style (filter sensitivity etc) but this shoudl get you mostly there.

Let me know if a screenshot of the editor would help, or pictures of the screen of the unit.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1472203629' post='3119361']

Sure - I'll have to simply type the settings down as I haven't got the facility to do a system dump or whatever it's called using MIDI at this point

Start off with the 'Chameleon' preset (I think it's patch 120 unless you've moved it)

COSM bass settings page 1
COSM Bass - on.

Type - Synth
Synth Type - Analog GR
Master level - 100

Page 2
Mode - VCO
Comp - Off

Page 3
Cutoff Freq - 58 (though I adjust this with the knob on the bass to change the sound, 58 matches the video)
Reso - 77
(Env Mod) - ON
Sens - 35
Attack - 25

Page 4
Off

Page 5
(Sweep) ON
Rise - 32
Fall - 24
(Vibrato) - Off

Page 6
EQ - On (but flat, just total gain +10)

Page 7-15 all off/flat

Page 16
String level 100 except G string which I turned down to 30 as it was louder than the others.

----

FX

COMP

ON - Limiter
TRSH - 60
Ratio - 4:1
Attack - 0
Rel - 20
Tone - 0
Level - 62

---

That's it! Tbh it'll differ from one bass to another depending on your pickup install (distance from strings, placement etc) and your playing style (filter sensitivity etc) but this shoudl get you mostly there.

Let me know if a screenshot of the editor would help, or pictures of the screen of the unit.
[/quote]

Thanks for that I'll give it a go.
Are you not using the VB editor with your computer? If not you should be as it's actually really good, and makes editing the unit a breeze.

[quote name='NoirBass' timestamp='1472208932' post='3119438']
Thanks for that I'll give it a go.
Are you not using the VB editor with your computer? If not you should be as it's actually really good, and makes editing the unit a breeze.
[/quote]

Yeah, but I much prefer using the unit. I think the interface is so nice to use with all the knobs and big screen. Any time spent away from the computer is good in my book!

I have the unit on the stand just to the side of my desk, perfect height, it just works so nicely. I even use it as a sound card for music through my hifi and headphones

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1472210622' post='3119451']

Yeah, but I much prefer using the unit. I think the interface is so nice to use with all the knobs and big screen. Any time spent away from the computer is good in my book!

I have the unit on the stand just to the side of my desk, perfect height, it just works so nicely. I even use it as a sound card for music through my hifi and headphones
[/quote]

Fair play, you can make handy save files with the VB editor - I think they're.mid from memory. Makes for easy backup and patch sharing.

Thanks again for taking the time to write the settings down for that patch, I'll give it a go when I get a minute.

Edited by NoirBass

[quote name='NoirBass' timestamp='1472217085' post='3119552']
Fair play, you can make handy save files with the VB editor - I think they're.mid from memory. Makes for easy backup and patch sharing.

Thanks again for taking the time to write the settings down for that patch, I'll give it a go when I get a minute.
[/quote]

Ah I see, OK I'll have a look - probably a good idea to back up my settings, as you say. :)

Let me know how you get on. I can send you my 'Stink Synth' patch, if you like - it makes full use of the 'dynamics' setting and blends in some clean bass, too.

Just had a quick go, great fun. Its been a while since I dug my VB-99 out and played with it - I'd forgotten how cool it is!

I've made a save file of your patch (although I've left all the String levels at 100%) for anyone who fancies a bash (change file extension to .zip):

[attachment=226448:Landing Point.b9e.zip]

Turns out they are .b9e files? must be a weird Roland format.

Oh, and please do share patches :)

Edited by NoirBass