Why become a member? ×

WOULD LIKE YOUR GUYS INPUT PLS

Cardiff Boy Roy

I just picked up a Vintage 70s style Mod Jazz Bass. The neck had a bit of a inward Bow on it. Im managed to get it straighter than it was bit there is still a slight Bow to it. Im not sure what strings are on it .
But could you suggest some kind of strings that wouldn't put too much of a strain on the neck ,but wouldn't take away the quality of tone
Ive never had a Squire Mod Jazz bass before so any help would be really great cheers guys . .

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1472081725' post='3118440']
Is there no adjustment left on the truss rod?
[/quote]

Yer I have taken up some of the bend with the trust Rod ,but as | say it still has a little bow ,not much just a little . So I want to put some strings on that dont need so much tension as ,say other would .

In a well set up instrument a slight concave bow is to be expected. It must not however be such that you get unrelated frets buzzing between your fretting finger and the bridge. Adjustment of the saddles may help by raising the string action but it may be unpleasant to play. If that's so, you might need help.

You could try light gage strings I suppose but you would be avoiding the issue if there really is one.

That's my opinion - for what it's worth. I hope you get enjoyment from your new acquisition anyway.

Edited by SpondonBassed

Just how much bow do you have? When you say it has a small amount of bow, what does the relief actually measure at the 8th, or wherever you wish to measure it?

No offence, but If you don't know how to measure the relief:
Fret the A string at the 1st fret and the bottom of the neck and measure the gap below the string to the 8th fret. You should be getting a measurement of 0.25-0.35mm.

If this is right, and you're looking for the strings to be lower, then that's the action and you adjust that at the bridge.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1472111455' post='3118512']
In a well set up instrument a slight concave bow is to be expected. It must not however be such that you get unrelated frets buzzing between your fretting finger and the bridge. Adjustment of the saddles may help by raising the string action but it may be unpleasant to play. If that's so, you might need help.

You could try light gage strings I suppose but you would be avoiding the issue if there really is one.

That's my opinion - for what it's worth. I hope you get enjoyment from your new acquisition anyway.
[/quote]

Believe me its all helpful my friend ,any and all info is gratefully received. :)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1472112300' post='3118525']
Just how much bow do you have? When you say it has a small amount of bow, what does the relief actually measure at the 8th, or wherever you wish to measure it?

No offence, but If you don't know how to measure the relief:
Fret the A string at the 1st fret and the bottom of the neck and measure the gap below the string to the 8th fret. You should be getting a measurement of 0.25-0.35mm.

If this is right, and you're looking for the strings to be lower, then that's the action and you adjust that at the bridge.
[/quote]

Hi and thanks for the Reply, As I say I have taken out the worst of the bow, and its not too bad now, I only did it last night and left it to settle over night. what Im looking for is some suggestions on strings that wont put too much pressure back on the neck again. I believe the strings thats on it now are flatwound but dont know the make. I know the Trustrod is not for really lowering the strings ,its only there to counter act the tension of the strings Yer ?

Edited by Cardiff Boy Roy

Low tension flatwounds TI JF344 (they appear on bc s/h on a regular basis at good prices, I have one set running at 8 years, no issues s/h), D'Addario Chromes 45-100 or 40-95. I am sure others will be along shortly with round wound and other flatwound suggestions.

[quote name='Cardiff Boy Roy' timestamp='1472113460' post='3118549']
Hi and thanks for the Reply, As I say I have taken out the worst of the bow, and its not too bad now, I only did it last night and left it to settle over night. what Im looking for is some suggestions on strings that wont put too much pressure back on the neck again. I believe the strings thats on it now are flatwound but dont know the make. I know the Trustrod is not for really lowering the strings ,its only there to counter act the tension of the strings Yer ?
[/quote]

Yes, got that, but strings are designed to give a fair bit of tension to be able to create the note. Exactly how bad is the bow?

Are you saying the action is low at the bottom of the neck, but you could limbo-dance under the middle?
If not, why does the bow bother you? A neck needs to have a certain amount if bow in it for it to avoid buzzing.

Otherwise, maybe you need a shim in the neck.

I'd pop it along to a guitar repairer/music shop if i was you.

Getting it playing right is a combination of neck relief, height adjustment on the bridge, the way the nut is cut and whether or not the frets are perfectly level. Often on a standard factory set up these things aren't quite right.

Trying to get a perfectly straight neck with no bow at all isn't necessarily the answer - all mine have got a bow to some extent, because they need one for the strings to vibrate cleanly.

String tension will play a part in your set up, but it isn't the answer by itself.

Take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1472116855' post='3118594']
I'd pop it along to a guitar repairer/music shop if i was you.

Getting it playing right is a combination of neck relief, height adjustment on the bridge, the way the nut is cut and whether or not the frets are perfectly level. Often on a standard factory set up these things aren't quite right.

Trying to get a perfectly straight neck with no bow at all isn't necessarily the answer - all mine have got a bow to some extent, because they need one for the strings to vibrate cleanly.

String tension will play a part in your set up, but it isn't the answer by itself.

Take it to someone who knows what they're doing.
[/quote]

I dont want the neck completely straight , Im ok with as it is I was just asking if there are some strings that would be better for it in case there is a weakness in the neck. I do understand there are some strings that dont put as much tension as other ,but Im not up on them. If you see my first post ,you will see I said I got most of the Bow out and it still has a slight bow ,which i can live with .

Assuming you have sorted out any technical problems regarding the neck, then to answer your original question...two of the lowest tension strings out there are Thomastik flats (mentioned already above) and Thomastik jazz rounds. Both are expensive, but worth the money IMO. Whether or not they are to your taste is a different matter.

If the truss rod is working properly and you've got the relief where you want it then I wouldn't worry about the tension of the current strings - that's what the truss rod is for. If you go to a lighter gauge you'll likely find the strings have a higher compliance (lower perceived string tension) which may or may not suit your playing technique - the tonal characteristics will likely also change a little.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1472126374' post='3118714']
If the truss rod is working properly and you've got the relief where you want it then I wouldn't worry about the tension of the current strings - that's what the truss rod is for. If you go to a lighter gauge you'll likely find the strings have a higher compliance (lower perceived string tension) which may or may not suit your playing technique - the tonal characteristics will likely also change a little.
[/quote]

Yer the relief is ok as I say Im happy enough with that, and I have left it over night and today the neck hasn't move. So if you think as you say the strings should be ok now the trustrod is holding I will leave it as it is and just keep an eye on it. Never having a bass with a neck so thin I was kind of worried ,I hope you understand what i mean . But really appreciate all your help guys. Maybe I was worrying about nothing ,but better to ask . Thanks so much all of you .

I'd seek advice, even if only for the luthier or helpful BC member to reassure you that you're on the right track.

I've never needed to change string gauge and I once bought a jazz that would take a 747 under the strings from the bass player in Morcheeba. I got that colossal bow out by very slowly adding tension over many, many days. its made of wood and you need to take it slowly.By the time that careful process was over, it was happily wearing 45-110 rounds with a low action.

Edited by Geek99

Sorry Cardiff BR, but your bass will, unless it's faulty, work with almost any standard thickness of string. The neck should have a very slight curve and the strings should be within a small clearance of the bottom of the neck and the pickups. That way it'll be nicely playable.

Besides, you should be choosing light-weight strings for the sound, not because it's the only option for the bass, surely?

In my earlier posts I was asking questions to try to help you to help us identify what the REAL problem is, or what it is you see as a problem and get you on the way to being happy.

The problem we have is you won't answer those questions. You're convinced the answer is thinner strings. So I'm sure the answer is for you to go and buy 5-6 different makes of strings and try them all out. It won't improve your bass set up, but I'm sure you'll learn something about what strings you like. You might like lightweight strings.

Good luck on your journey. I do mean that, honest.