Why become a member? ×

Sticky strings

Funky Dunky

Just banged a set of DR Fat Beams on my Fender Jazz. Nice. Tension is pretty much perfect.

But here's the problem......they're......sticky. Not sticky as in residue. Sticky as in....how do I even define it.....not smooth? Not easy to slide? Not dead, by any means, but not lively to the touch. Any ideas how to make them.....not sticky? Brand new strings, fresh out the packet, but feel kinda dulled to touch.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1472101918' post='3118467']
A common complaint with new flat wounds. Give them a good wipe down with a clean cloth and, if you have it, isopropyl alcohol. You'll be surprised how much black yuck comes off.
[/quote]

Wait..whut? Fat Beams are rounds not flats......I guess the advice still applies though ;)

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1472107637' post='3118484']

Wait..whut? Fat Beams are rounds not flats......I guess the advice still applies though ;)
[/quote]Doh! It was early and I was half asleep, apologies. However, if they are sticky, as you say, it won't hurt.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1472101918' post='3118467']
A common complaint with new flat wounds. Give them a good wipe down with a clean cloth and, if you have it, isopropyl alcohol. You'll be surprised how much black yuck comes off.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. Where can one typically obtain isopropyl alcohol?

I love that fresh out the packet feel. The rounds grip your skin in a way that doesn't happen when they get worn in. I don't like strings that have been gigged two or three times. It's all down to taste and this is a never ending argument, but I love new strings!

As for flats, I think you should just play them!

Edited by ubit

Or you can get "Medi Swabs" or "Sterets" pre injection swabs - soaked in isopropyl alcohol. As a diabetic I always used to have them kicking around. 1000 uses... cassette head cleaning, getting sticky labels off CD cases, de-gunking strings...

Careful with the liquid. Not great for rosewood fingerboards.

Sticky or just grabby..? Sticky, to me, is gunk or the string being off.
Not sure what fast fret is but if it gets in the winds, this wont keep the string fresh, IMO..

One of the reasons I gave up on DR's after about 15 plus years was because they became unreliable when opening a new pack... and they weren't cheap either.