Why become a member? ×

NPD - SS/BS Mini

GazWills

OK, so this isn't a new pedal 'day', but I wanted to wait a couple of weeks before writing anything, after trying it at a couple of band practices...

Really liking this pedal, it has a v useful 2 band EQ, and is capable of boosting the low end, not just maintaining it. The 'bias' control is very cool, you can dial it to the right and have a very transparent tone, lots of headroom, or turn it left and it gets very lofi, gatey and dirty :) It goes all the way from very subtle overdrive through to heavy distortion, and usable all the way through.

Honestly, it's the first dirt pedal I've owned or tried (of many) where there is more than one different tone in there, the bias knob really does make that much difference. Love my tall font russian, TK421x and BB preamp, but I have them all dialled into a 'sweet spot' for me, and that's it. The mini is super versatile, but has its own voice.

It's staying on the board :)

Edited by GazWills

Big lover of this pedal, really versatile, for the first few months I set everything flat and just adjusted the bias knob between Lo-fi dirt and fatness, this and the Tafm cured my GAS (hopefully) for a long time, always getting great comments about my tone from sound men!

[quote name='tanuki' timestamp='1472585016' post='3122411']
Big lover of this pedal, really versatile, for the first few months I set everything flat and just adjusted the bias knob between Lo-fi dirt and fatness, this and the Tafm cured my GAS (hopefully) for a long time, always getting great comments about my tone from sound men!
[/quote]

its comments like that that make my bank balance scared!

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1472124496' post='3118691']
OK, so this isn't a new pedal 'day', but I wanted to wait a couple of weeks before writing anything, after trying it at a couple of band practices...

Really liking this pedal, it has a v useful 2 band EQ, and is capable of boosting the low end, not just maintaining it. The 'bias' control is very cool, you can dial it to the right and have a very transparent tone, lots of headroom, or turn it left and it gets very lofi, gatey and dirty :) It goes all the way from very subtle overdrive through to heavy distortion, and usable all the way through.

Honestly, it's the first dirt pedal I've owned or tried (of many) where there is more than one different tone in there, the bias knob really does make that much difference. Love my tall font russian, TK421x and BB preamp, but I have them all dialled into a 'sweet spot' for me, and that's it. The mini is super versatile, but has its own voice.

It's staying on the board :)

[/quote]

This pedal is making me think twice about wanting a Darkglass VMT.

Great pedalboard btw! I'm trying to justify having an od, distortion and fuzz on my board. How/when do you use the different pedals?

thanks - well, I play in an instrumental 3-piece (link in sig), so there is lots of space to fill. I use some type of dirt about 90% of the time, if not more. TK-421x (grindey RAT tone) for the main dirt tone, TFR (doomey-muff fuzz) for the really heavy parts, or the synthy upper register bits, and the mini I'm using for a little bit of drive when I don't want the aggressive tones of the COG. They each sound very different, and having no vocals, you can appreciate the changes in tone a bit more!