Why become a member? ×

New colour to naturally oiled basses

The-Ox

Basically yes. But it depends on the effect your going for, for example an oil finish won't work very well over an opaque painted surface, but dyeing/staining the bass black would be easily achievable and work well under oil. This would be a translucent black, rather than a painted opaque black look.

As with all finishing, it's the prep that is the key :).

Edited by Manton Customs

No problem! You should be able to find a few YouTube videos and tutorials regarding finishing on Google. It's relatively straightforward and easy to get good results if you're going for a low gloss to satin finish.

This one is Ash, dyed black. I can appreciate the body shape won't be to everyone's liking though!

[attachment=226406:Manton Customs Immortal Seymour Duncan Nazgul.jpg]

Figured Maple in green.

[URL=http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/Manton-Customs/media/TheTitan.png.html][IMG]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u425/Manton-Customs/TheTitan.png[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by Manton Customs

To do what you're looking to achieve you will first need to wash the body in white spirit.

When you think you have got rid of the oil check the oil is all gone using drops of water to see how it reacts on the surface.

Rub the wood down with sandpaper.

Then for a semi gloss or semi-matt finish you could use black paint and finish in semi-mattlacquer.

If you want a black oiled finish you could try staining it with black ink, let it dry, then oil it.

It may be worth saying here that I have a Warwick in "blue oil finish". Truth is, it's not oil at all. It's blue lacquer. I know this because of the way it's scratched.

Before you start doing this finish on your bass, I strongly recommend that you do a test on some spare piece of wood.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1472178650' post='3119191']
Won't the previously oiled finish prevent the dye from being drawn into the wood? I would have thought that it would be very difficult to remove all traces of the old oiled finish?
[/quote]
You're right. Before you can do anything you'd need to wash off all the oil with white spirit.

I guess the question I would like to ask the OP is, "Putting aside your description of the finish being black oil, what do you actually want the finish to be like? What attracted you to an oil finish?"

There are good benefits of the oil finish: If it's damaged, it'd far easier to repair the oil finish than to re-paint or re-lacquer. But adding colour isn't a popular choice and there are good reasons why most don't do it.
It would be a shame if it all goes very badly.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1472178650' post='3119191']
Won't the previously oiled finish prevent the dye from being drawn into the wood? I would have thought that it would be very difficult to remove all traces of the old oiled finish?
[/quote]

It's not particularly difficult as long as you make sure you've removed it all before progressing. Oil finishes are amongst the easiest to remove and the idea that they penetrate deep into the wood is a myth.

[quote name='Manton Customs' timestamp='1472197210' post='3119258']
It's not particularly difficult as long as you make sure you've removed it all before progressing. Oil finishes are amongst the easiest to remove and the idea that they penetrate deep into the wood is a myth.
[/quote]
True. When I say "wash" the body, I don't mean fill the bath... All you need to do is pour it on the wood and swab it over. Keep doing this until you get rid of the oil. It's do-able.
I used to work in selling oiled finish and lacquer finish oak furniture. Sometimes, we'd need to remove the oil and lacquer a piece of furniture to fulfil an order. The harder job was to remove lacquer finish to make it oiled finish. That too Nitromores - less "fun" than white spirit by a long chalk.