Why become a member? ×

Quilter Bass Block 800

Opticaleye

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1474887488' post='3141214'] I did my first proper gig with it on Saturday and ran it through my Barefaced One10. It was a gig I knew wouldn't need my TKS volume-wise. Even so, when I first plugged in I noticed a lot of overblown bass from the One10 direct on a wooden floor. 30 seconds of adjusting the 2 tone controls and I'd found a sound that I didn't need to change all night. I'd dialled in a little of the HPF setting on the Deep control and left the contour flat. I set the gain around at 7.5 (all controls are notched) and the tone was full and rich but still detailed. One more notch on the gain and I would have been in break-up territory but, as it was, I had a harmonic rich vintage tone. Our keyboard player kept looking round to express his appreciation and disbelief that the sound was coming from such a small package. As far as the limiters (there are 2) there doesn't appear to be any restraint of the signal. The low end, in particular, sounds free and effortless and the "thickness" seems to come from added harmonics similar to how the Basswitch Sonic Spark works. Here's a technical explanation from Pat Quilter, http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/products/bassblock-amplifiers/bass-block-in-depth [/quote]

I read that before but reading it with your reviews its makes more sense now.

Bugger, this looks like a really good fit for what I want in a bass amp. Class D that doesn't sound class D :D

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1474887488' post='3141214'] I did my first proper gig with it on Saturday and ran it through my Barefaced One10. It was a gig I knew wouldn't need my TKS volume-wise. Even so, when I first plugged in I noticed a lot of overblown bass from the One10 direct on a wooden floor. 30 seconds of adjusting the 2 tone controls and I'd found a sound that I didn't need to change all night. I'd dialled in a little of the HPF setting on the Deep control and left the contour flat. I set the gain around at 7.5 (all controls are notched) and the tone was full and rich but still detailed. One more notch on the gain and I would have been in break-up territory but, as it was, I had a harmonic rich vintage tone. Our keyboard player kept looking round to express his appreciation and disbelief that the sound was coming from such a small package. As far as the limiters (there are 2) there doesn't appear to be any restraint of the signal. The low end, in particular, sounds free and effortless and the "thickness" seems to come from added harmonics similar to how the Basswitch Sonic Spark works. Here's a technical explanation from Pat Quilter, http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/products/bassblock-amplifiers/bass-block-in-depth [/quote]

Previous Class D amps I've had seemed light on 'heft'. They just didn't seem as full and round as A/B amps I'd owned. Can you comment on the Bass Block in this sense?

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1475061975' post='3142687']
Previous Class D amps I've had seemed light on 'heft'. They just didn't seem as full and round as A/B amps I'd owned. Can you comment on the Bass Block in this sense?
[/quote]

I'm old enough to have owned and tried a lot of different amps (including Class A/B heads that lacked heft too). I've been none too impressed with any of the ICE module Class D heads that I've tried.
I have a Markbass TTE801 which uses Markbass's own power module and doesn't lack in "heft". The Bass Block, also, is full and round while still retaining a good transparency. No problems in that department IMO :) .

[quote name='deksawyer' timestamp='1475104619' post='3143166']
To the owner of the bass block - how would you think the unusual eq arrangement on it would work with a fretless bass, in order to push the mids more than you normally would on a fretted bass?

D.
[/quote]

The Bass Block's eq section has a Deep control which,when turned to the left engages a HPF at 100hz. The contour knob, when turned to the right activates a LPF. Cutting bass and treble and boosting gain or volume effectively boosts middle. I have had no trouble achieving a Jaco-ish back pickup sound even with the amp set flat.

Edited by Opticaleye

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately my band's drummer is busy doing shows all October so no gigs until Bonfire night. :(

I did get a second Barefaced One10 and have been trying this setup at home. The BB800 sounds fantastic whatever bass or cabs I use. I have a couple of basses that I had put to one side and ignored. The Bass Block has breathed new life into them.
The EQ is really powerful and ridiculously easy to use. The learning curve for this amp is about 1 minute. I like the gain set between 5 and 7.5 (clicks on the dial). It doesn't really do dirt but sounds really good with a dirty setting on my Two Notes Le Bass. The HPF dial on the amp works really well with my cabs but I kind of wish, in a way, that I could turn the deep control up as it sounds so sweet.
This amp is all about the tone though.

Guy should there is nothing wrong with ICEPower modules except when manufacturers "overstate" the spec.

For example GK quite 200W for the MB150. ICEPower quote 170 at 1% distortion into 4R.As the combo used a 4R speaker 170W is reasonable. Others use the same module and quote 200W. As a 100W amp it is great, ca
It 200W and it sucks.

It outputs 100W into 8R with 1% distortion. That is the ICEPower spec.

• 1 month later...

Just bought one. Seems to tick all my boxes - lightweight, tiny footprint, loud, great tone - for a back up to my main amp head and for rehearsals. Everything else in the class D amps I have tried so far has disappointed one way or another. Look forward to it arriving this week! :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1479569634' post='3177551']
Just bought one. Seems to tick all my boxes - lightweight, tiny footprint, loud, great tone - for a back up to my main amp head and for rehearsals. Everything else in the class D amps I have tried so far has disappointed one way or another. Look forward to it arriving this week! :)
[/quote]

Congratulations :) . I don't feel so lonely on here now. I bought mine as a backup too........

I've done two more gigs with mine, both with my two Barefaced One cabs. The amp performed very well but I felt the cabs, while perfectly loud enough, lacked the oomph of just one of my TKS 1126 cabs. I will use the One 10's for rehearsals and for gigs where I use my EUB from now on.
The Bass Block suits the TKS cabs perfectly.

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1479573048' post='3177581']
Congratulations :) . I don't feel so lonely on here now.
[/quote]

:lol:

Similar thing for me - my aim is to use the amp with a Barefaced 110 for rehearsals with my quieter band and a Barefaced Supercompact with my louder band. Save lugging my Trace Elliot head around apart from gigs. Or, indeed, if it works out, I might use it for gigs. We'll see.

Indeed it has arrived as promised and in one piece. One very, very small piece. :)

Plugged into Barefaced 110 at home and - yum yum! - it is everything you said. I have a gig Friday night so will use it then with my BF Supercompact.

I used this last night at pub gig volume. Gain set at 8 o'clock to give a bit of break up. I was into the PA so had master set at around halfway and that was plenty loud into into the Supercompact. Didn't get enough time before we kicked off to dial in the 'exact' sound I wanted but got close enough in just a couple of mins fiddling - the eq is simple but effective. Overall a very nice bit of kit and I think perfect for what I need.

What sort of volume is the Bass Block capable of? To use the olde question, "Will it do metal?"
Serious question, as have heard plenty of amps that don't gold a candle to what I'm using despite higher ratings, and I'm really liking the look of this little box.

It's loud. You'd probably need a pedal for metal though. I don't find the break -up when the gain is turned up very "musical".

It's really in the realm of "clean tubey". Also the useful volume range is spread throughout the whole control as opposed to all crammed into the first half of the dial like some amps.

Edited by Opticaleye

• 2 weeks later...

Tried it at low volume earlier through the Dubster with my Hardpuncher, tone rolled off and bass at max on the amp. I think the house shifted on it's foundations. I like it.
[URL=http://s264.photobucket.com/user/timev/media/20161210_182441_zps0zekkgvv.jpg.html][IMG]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii166/timev/20161210_182441_zps0zekkgvv.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by doomed