Why become a member? ×

Quilter Bass Block 800

Opticaleye

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1493622946' post='3289407']
Do they make bass cabs ?
[/quote]

Yep. http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/productpage/bassliner-series

I am so lazy that I find the thought of a combo peculiarly attractive :(

Gosh, they are interesting - I am still enjoying my Bassblock and often use it with a BF 110 for rehearsals for a light carry in. Love the look of the Bassliner 1x12, and to be able to connect it up into a combo would be very convenient. Not in UK yet?

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1493625441' post='3289428']

Yep. http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/productpage/bassliner-series

I am so lazy that I find the thought of a combo peculiarly attractive :(
[/quote]

Nice.. a 2x12 stack I suspect would sound great..

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1493627684' post='3289446']
Going to be expensive though.. about £800 a cab here
[/quote]

Everything is expensive :(

The irony is that I do not even need anything!

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1493645447' post='3289640']
The cabs are 1/4" jack only and would not meet EU safety regs i believe.

I'm not expecting them over here anytime soon.

What regs are those ? Plenty of guitar cabs with jack sockets only so unless there are bass cab specific regulations ?
[/quote]

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1493656418' post='3289775'][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]

What regs are those ? Plenty of guitar cabs with jack sockets only so unless there are bass cab specific regulations ?
[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

I found this if it helps.
[color=#777777][font=Roboto, sans-serif][size=3]
A major breakthrough for the live industry came in 1987, with Neutrik’s debut of the speakON created specifically for speaker connections. A new EU European Low Voltage Directive required that any connector capable of carrying more than 50 volts must be protected against inadvertent contact. Obviously, other connectors — such as banana plugs and 1/4-inch styles — did not meet this requirement.[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1493660961' post='3289818']
I found this if it helps.

[color=#777777][font=Roboto, sans-serif][size=3]A major breakthrough for the live industry came in 1987, with Neutrik’s debut of the speakON created specifically for speaker connections. A new EU European Low Voltage Directive required that any connector capable of carrying more than 50 volts must be protected against inadvertent contact. Obviously, other connectors — such as banana plugs and 1/4-inch styles — did not meet this requirement.[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Just gone through the relevant documents and I think it only applies to amplifier outputs (75v DC or greater) and not speaker cabinet inputs...

Even then my Mesa Four:88 only had jack type speaker sockets and was CE marked - perhaps it did not meet the 75v DC requirement?

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1493661565' post='3289821']
Just gone through the relevant documents and I think it only applies to amplifier outputs (75v DC or greater) and not speaker cabinet inputs...

Even then my Mesa Four:88 only had jack type speaker sockets and was CE marked - perhaps it did not meet the 75v DC requirement?
[/quote]

I'm not sure. I read it as it says "[color=#777777][font=Roboto, sans-serif][size=3][i][b]any[/b][/i] connector capable of carrying more than 50 volts must be protected against inadvertent contact."[/size][/font][/color]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif]Reading the Quilter thread over on the other forum, that was their understanding.[/font]
[font=Roboto, sans-serif]It's not a requirement in the US but it's highly desirable.[/font]

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1493661565' post='3289821']

[/quote]

I just read a post over there from Mesa's development engineer saying that the industry moved over to speakons due to the requirement of the EU directive.
Puzzling how the amp is allowed 1/4" and a speakon.

Edit: It [i]may[/i] just be amps after all, but most manufacturers use speakons on cabs now for the same safety reasons

Edited by Opticaleye

Here is mine:

I've used it for jazz gig with fretless Lakland five string and one TKS S112 cab. Perfect! Also some church gigs with one of my TKS 2126 cabs, playing my Dingwall Sklar. The gig last weekend was more oldschool tone, same setup but with my Dingwall Super-P with Thomastik flats. I've also used it for my big all wood 4/4 upright bass and a TKS S112: nice and acoustic! Also some metal jam with LOUD drummer through PA, a guitard with one and a half stack. I used the amp with a 1000 Watt Ampeg SVT 810 cab and my old Streamer. Gain at 3 o'clock: Mmmmmmmmm!

My testimony:
Set the gain low and you get clean tone, crank it and the amp starts to behave like a tube amp: more growly and gnarly the higher you set, and a very noticable "tube amp sag" and compression. The filter section is very smart and useful. Cut lows completely for acoustic upright, a tad of scoop on the other filter clear things up. Roll of - or in this case: turn up the filter knob - highs for more Motown tone.

This is not a small back-up amp, this is the real deal, just weighing a tenth of my pedalboard...

Edited by bassmayhem

• 2 months later...

The cabs look very interesting. Great looking drivers...though I think there might be a dip in output in the 1x12" cab (3012LF driver) before it crosses over into the horn's usable frequency range....so probably not quite as 'full range' as e.g. Fearless F112 or Barefaced Big Baby. But still, a cab with a little natural voicing (??cut in output around 2k ish) might suit a lot of people. I'm just speculating, of course, based on the info Eminence gives on their website about the drivers used....looks like a pretty impressive package overall.

Must. Not. Sell. Puma. 900. No. Need.

• 1 month later...