Why become a member? ×

Hello From Tyneside

DrPAR

Thanks for letting me join the group. I'm completely new to the world of the bass guitar, so new in fact that I've not even bought my equipment yet. However, of the instruments that I've checked out, I feel quite drawn to short scale basses and really like the Gretsch Junior Jet II. I'll certainly be interested if anyone in the Tyneside area has one of these in perfect, set-up condition to sell. Then again, some of you may be able to point me in a completely different direction.

Cheers!

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Welcome to basschat DrPAR,
I'm sure you'll find lots of good advice on this forum, and plenty of helpful, friendly players. Don't forget to look out for a bass bash type event near you - I'm sure you'll meet lots of good pals, and they usually let you try their equipment

Don't rush into your first purchase. Try several basses our before buying. There are some good starter basses out there these days.
Try a few long scale basses too, and compare as many as you can. Don't be embarrassed about trying basses in shops, as a beginner - always remember that they see loads of newcomers in shops...

Just try as many as you can, and good luck with your playing :)

EDIT: Though I'm a long scale player, I have a Hofner Violin bass (which I usually carry as a backup)
Really impressed with the big, punchy sound from this bass - though it feels a little odd to play (due to body shape, I think) It's a great bass - so try one if you can.....[/font][/color]

Edited by Marc S

Many thanks everyone. In the last week, I've picked up a mint condition Gretsch Junior Jet II G2224 and Fender Rumble 15 amp, and have started the learning process using Ed Friedland's [i]Bass Method Book 1[/i]. I've also made contact with a very highly recommended bass tutor and hope to arrange my first lesson very soon. That's not a bad start to my life as a bassist.