Why become a member? ×

Ibanez RS924 re-wire

B.Flat

Hi.
I have a very sweet Ibanez RS924. Though I enjoy the p/up & control config. I am wondering if it could be re-wired to give the std. JB 2 Vol 1 tone in passive mode (via a dual con. pot.) without loosing the active bass & treble cut/boost option.
I have attached the wiring diagram for any advice that can be given, and that will be gratefully received.

Brian

Edited by B.Flat

Yes that can be done. Just replace the existing vol/tone/selector switch wiring harness with a standard passive P/J harness like this one - [url="http://members.ziggo.nl/s.k.wiersma/images_bass_building/Wiring%20diagram%20-%20std_p_j_bass.jpg"]http://members.ziggo...td_p_j_bass.jpg[/url]

Wire the hot and ground wires coming from the tone pot to your eq on/off switch instead of the output jack (see pic below).

You can use a concentric vol pot instead of two separate vols. You may want to use 500k pots instead of 250k as shown in the diagram.

Bear in mind that this new wiring adds a third pot which will change the load on the pickups and may subtly change the sound (to be a little darker).

Edited by ikay

Hi ikay,
thank you very much for this quick an precise reply, I really am most grateful, will do this and with a dual con 500K pot, if it does not turn out as I would like I can easily return it to the original config.

Excellent, and thanks again.

Brian

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I just picked up a rs924 that had some modifications done and I’m trying to find a wiring diagram to bring it back to stock. Currently seems like it’s wired to be Vol/Vol Tone/Tone and the active electronics taken out of the circuit.

The pickups are not original, however he did give me the OG p-bass pups. He said he had them swapped out because they were very noisy and unable to be fixed, and I’m fairly pleased with the ones installed so I think I’ll leave it as is. The bridge is a Fender j pickup, also fine with that for now. May try different aftermarket pups down the line, I’ve been playing a Peavey T-40 for years which doesn’t really allow for much experimentation but I’m interested in the prospect. 

Appreciate any help, excited to do some rehab work on this bad boy. 

9045E481-DD31-417E-9680-633EC8498D17.jpeg

F9EBBE6E-5320-4069-963F-1CDFC68D385E.jpeg

Edited by themetalchurch