Why become a member? ×

Fretless fretboard buzz - FIXED!

interpol52

Hi everyone

I have just picked up an Ibanez SR700 fretless. I've changed the strings to some standard flats, it had tapewounds on it and I didn't really like their sound.

The new strings have brought it to life and this thing sings now. Only issue is a fretboard buzz at the 12th fret position only on the E string. No buzzing to speak of anywhere else, I've tried raising the action but its still there.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

Cheers!

Edited by interpol52

It could be a sympathetic vibration (sometimes the truss rod but you've tweaked yours and it hasn't disappeared). Do you get a buzz if you play the same note on the A string?

There could be a slight problem on the fingerboard around the 12th fret position meaning it needs some attention to get it levelled.

Racking my brain on this as to what else could be the problem. It can't be the nut otherwise you'd more than likely get it worse on the open E. When I set my Cort fretless up I adopted the same amount of relief that you'd get with a fretted bass because I was getting unwanted buzz (I prefer the word 'sizzle' here to describe the sound) in a few areas when the fingerboard was almost flat - I suspect my bass would benefit from being properly levelled by a good luthier/technician as I think there may be some very slight height deviations here and there.

If it's a defret, it could be a slightly proud fill-in; otherwise you do find a fretless board can wear if you repeatedly hit certain notes, kinda fretless fret-wear.
Put a steel rule or straight-edge over that position and put a bright light behind, so if there's even a slight depression in the board you'll see it.
Until I learned to do my own, I'd have mine skimmed every year or two as certain notes would always develop a buzz.

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1472574919' post='3122276']
If it's a defret, it could be a slightly proud fill-in; otherwise you do find a fretless board can wear if you repeatedly hit certain notes, kinda fretless fret-wear.
Put a steel rule or straight-edge over that position and put a bright light behind, so if there's even a slight depression in the board you'll see it.
Until I learned to do my own, I'd have mine skimmed every year or two as certain notes would always develop a buzz.
[/quote]

Thanks Hubrad. I see you are in West Yorkshire, I live in Wakefield. Can you recommend anyone I could take it to? I know a couple but I haven't used them in a while.

Cheers!

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1472571847' post='3122239']
It could be a sympathetic vibration (sometimes the truss rod but you've tweaked yours and it hasn't disappeared). Do you get a buzz if you play the same note on the A string?

There could be a slight problem on the fingerboard around the 12th fret position meaning it needs some attention to get it levelled.
[/quote]

No buzz on the A, I'm going to take it in to someone to give a once over. I'm not confident enough to tweak with things to much. Thanks for your help 😊

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1472576826' post='3122304']
Thanks Hubrad. I see you are in West Yorkshire, I live in Wakefield. Can you recommend anyone I could take it to? I know a couple but I haven't used them in a while.

Cheers!
[/quote]
I've just spoken to an excellent fellow in Bradford, and will PM you his number.
He also said the first choice would actually be the string(!) Slacken off the E string and look for signs of a kink in the place where there's a buzz. Sounds a bit extreme, but he showed me this once on a guitar in the shop and he was bloomin' right!

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1472577217' post='3122311']
Just don't use the 12th fret on the E :)

Seriously, I've three FLs and they all have similar idiosyncrasies, I just work around them. Adds to the mojo

C
[/quote]

I wish I could! I know its there though and it will bug me even if I don't use that fret. I need to chill out about these things 😊

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1472577836' post='3122314']

I've just spoken to an excellent fellow in Bradford, and will PM you his number.
He also said the first choice would actually be the string(!) Slacken off the E string and look for signs of a kink in the place where there's a buzz. Sounds a bit extreme, but he showed me this once on a guitar in the shop and he was bloomin' right!
[/quote]

It was the string! I took it off and it had the tiniest of kinks in it. Gently tried to straighten it and put it back on - fixed!

Cheers Hugh you are a star!

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1472578901' post='3122325']
Well done Hugh and Hugh's luthier friend :) A happy ending.
[/quote]

Indeed, what a fine bunch of people we have on here!

Heart well and truly warmed.

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1472578492' post='3122322']
It was the string! I took it off and it had the tiniest of kinks in it.
[/quote]

Happens a lot more than people think, and whilst you can get away with it on fretted, it can cause a lot of problems on fretless (even at the 12th on the E where of course only Jaco has ever really gone), and worse still on DB where it not only causes problems for tone but can present a noticeable hump in the string. I've only ever had it once on a new set of strings, but a few times with strings bought used.