Why become a member? ×

"Soft" synth and fuzz sounds...

uk_lefty

My band is looking to cover some 80s songs which have nice synthy bass lines. I'm trying to get a "softer" synth or fuzz sound but struggling with the current set up. I have a mooer thunderball fuzz which is too harsh for the sound I want, also an old zoom 506 which has wacky synths I just can't get on with. Are there any budget recommendations for the softer 80s synth tones?

A filter will take all that harshness out and give you some vowel-like articulation. Hard to beat the Source Audio Manta for this application, it has LFO, envelope, expression, or hot-hand control, has built in fuzz/distortion, and presets. It's cheap compared to most of the competition but possibly still over budget for you.

Also the solo octave sound on the Boss OC-2 is a classic dub like synth tone. If money was no object I would recommend the 3Leaf Octabvre as it nails the tone but improves the tracking and output level. However a used OC-2, or a clone such as the one made by Chord, would be within reach.

For a soft sounding synthy fuzz, I LOVE the Crowther Audio Prunes & Custard, and there is a clone of one in the for sale section unless it's already sold!