Why become a member? ×

P bass with custom '51/Mike Dirnt style pickguard?

BassApprentice

Hi All,

I've got a P bass project on the go and I was just wondering if anyone has seen one with a '51 style pickguard? by this I mean a standard P bass pickguard which extends to the upper horn.

It wouldn't be the standard 51 style pickguard at the body is not rear routed.

It could look awful but would be interested to see if there are any examples.

Edited by BassApprentice

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1472668981' post='3123160']
The 60th Anniversary P also had a Split Coil and that pick guard shape. I've also seen a Custom Shop 55 Relic with the same if that helps.
[/quote]

And I like it - a lot, The Mike Dirnt and the CS Relic both looking epic with a maple board. I really want to get my hands round a MD bass for a good test drive!

I'm a big fan of the extended pickguard. I think the pawnshop guitars look very nice as well.

Like I said the problem I'm facing with my project is the body is front routed meaning I'll need a lot of plastic to cover up the holes. Not sure it will look as good with the pickguard really dominating the front of the body. I think I'll have to mock one up and see how I feel then find someone to custom make one....

So I've done a very rough mock up on Paint at work. Could have done a far better job but this is just an idea.

Making the control plate chrome a la Jazz basses could take some of the impact of the large amount of plastic on the front of the bass.

What do we think? I think it looks cool, others of course may not....

Edited by BassApprentice

[quote name='deksawyer' timestamp='1472748089' post='3123907']
Warmoth do something like this called the 72 p bass.

[url="https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=warmoth+72+p+bass&biw=1430&bih=726&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjFg8rxze7OAhUCiRoKHeDyBOkQ_AUIBygC"]warmoth 72 p bass[/url]
[/quote]

That's really close to what I was aiming for, would just need to extend down below the pick up to cover up the routing