Why become a member? ×

Fender Modern Jazz any equivelants?

PaulWarning

heard a guy playing one of these at the weekend, loved the sound he got, turns out it's got 2, 5 string humbucking pickups (it is a 4 stringer) instead of the 2 single coil 4 string ones. The bad news is they don't make them anymore and they seem very rare, and there doesn't seem to have made any lefties at all, Anybody know if there is anything close to this set up

In case you can't find a leftie Jazz with humbuckers of the Modern Player type (which Fender now seem to have been replaced with the Dimension series) I suppose you could put stacked coil humbuckers in a 'conventional' leftie though the poles won't replicate the arrangement with the Modern Player or Dimension type pickups (and hence I expect there'd be a difference in tone).

the Dimension series doesn't seem to be available in cack handed versions either, think I'll keep my eye out for a second hand Squier VM with a view to having twin humbuckers installed, it'll mean routing out the body but might be worth it, risky though, God knows what it will sound like

Was it like this 1?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/0242600503/electric-basses/fender-modern-player-jazz-bass-satin-2-color-sunburst

If so I don't think they are 5 string pups, it's just that the pole pieces are between the strings rather than a pair of pole pieces directly under the strings like a traditional jazz.
I'd imagine unless you find someone either parting out a modern player or someone who can custom build you a pair it'd be pretty hard to get a hold of those spec pups off the shelf! :unsure:

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1472726130' post='3123656']
Was it like this 1?

[url="https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/0242600503/electric-basses/fender-modern-player-jazz-bass-satin-2-color-sunburst"]https://www.anderton...-color-sunburst[/url]

If so I don't think they are 5 string pups, it's just that the pole pieces are between the strings rather than a pair of pole pieces directly under the strings like a traditional jazz.
I'd imagine unless you find someone either parting out a modern player or someone who can custom build you a pair it'd be pretty hard to get a hold of those spec pups off the shelf! :unsure:
[/quote]yep that's the one, shame I'm a leftie, again :( , you could be right about the pickups, presumable they're not a Fender stock item

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1472727173' post='3123673']
yep that's the one, shame I'm a leftie, again :( , you could be right about the pickups, presumable they're not a Fender stock item
[/quote]

I'm with you on the being a lefty, 'tis a hard life being cack handed and a bass player! :(

Yeah, Fender don't sell them seperately so they're pretty hard to come by and not a lot of pup manufacturers seem to offer the twin-jazz setup as an option either! It's a toughie!