Why become a member? ×

Electronics experts Scotland

steviedee

I wonder if anybody can recommend an electronics person, Glasgow area preferably but Scotland or in fact anywhere!

[font=arial, sans-serif]I have just bought NS Design CR4T electric upright bass. There is a blend control which blends between two sets of pickups, one for arco and one for pizz currently it does not enable the arco section. I knew the blend was faulty when I bought the bass in the hope I could get it fixed.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=4]I have been in touch with NS Design ad they have informed the bass is an older model with the preamp made by HAZ Labs who made pres for Steinberger and Spector. Don at NS has offered to send me some pots they have left over as the preamp is no longer made. Potentially the pot could be bad or the pins going into the preamp could be bent.[/size][/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=4]The options are getting someone to diagnose the problem, take a punt and replace the pot and lastly I’ve spoken to HAZ labs and they will fix it but I’m not comfortable removing the preamp and then putting it back together.[/size][/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Here is a pic of the gubbins which is beyond my meagre knowledge![/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=4][/size][/size][/font]

Edited by steviedee

• 2 weeks later...

Looks pretty straight forward for anyone into electronics, maybe try to contact someone who fixes PC's as they use similar conponents and should have the relevant test equipment and they should also be good at de-soldering/soldering, hope this is useful to you.

Edited by Goz

I used these guys to repair a number of amps etc over the years and they did good work. From the outside it looks like a jewellery store but there is an electronics place in the back. It was years ago but hopefully they will still be in business.

[b] [color=#0000FF][size=1]Ihnen Electronics[/size][/color][/b]

[b] [color=#0000FF][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=1]236 Battlefield Road[/size][/font][/color][/b]

[b] [color=#0000FF][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=1]Glasgow G42 9HN[/size][/font][/color][/b]

[b] [color=#0000FF][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=1]Tel.: 0141 649 946[/size][/font][/color][/b]

Check out Dennis Marshall - he's near Dunfermline, builds his own amps, pre-amps, pedals etc. Worked for a lot of big names. He's always busy but likes talking electronics so should be able to advise/help.

[url="http://www.dennismarshall.co.uk/index.htm"]http://www.dennismarshall.co.uk/index.htm[/url]