Why become a member? ×

Freak

Guest ixlramp

Guest ixlramp

I often post at sevenstring.org and the strings forum at talkbass.com, under this username.

I'm not much of a musician, after an early studio collaboration with a close friend i now play for myself at home, and very occasionally record.

Although i'm obsessed with basses i'm not really a 'bassist', i'm more of an extended range guitarist who prefers the dimensions of basses.
I started playing synth in 1993 but was uncomfortable with the old fashioned and unnecessary c-major piano interface, 2 years later after trying guitar and bass i moved completely to bass, finding guitar too small and fiddly. I continued to want to play a full pitch range and chords so, inspired by my obsession with Robert Fripp, soon started tuning a 5 string in fifths, and later a 6 in fifths, because i could not afford an Extended Range Bass.

In 2004 i started visiting the ERB forums and would often chat with Skip and others about string set tensions, i remember the post of his when he first considered making his own strings. Since then i have been a fan of the Circle K Strings / Kalium project even though i don't use the strings. Through tuning in fifths and building custom sets i learnt about string tension, i started using equal-tension sets and then moved to light-top sets.

In 2008 started learning about alternative tonal systems and Just Intonation. I have a fretless 5 string, and a conventionally fretted 6 string that i am using to experiment with microtonal open tunings. I also have a self-refretted double-course 8 string flying-V with quartertone frets.

Having been unhappy with conventional bass amps i finally found the sound i like in a small amp designed for acoustic guitar: flat response, full frequency range, sealed cabinet and tweeter.

I'm interested in bass modification and modern, alternative or innovative bass design and ergonomics.

Edited by ixlramp

I spotted 'Norfolk' in the title as I wandered through BC this morning - and since there's so few of us around these here parts, I thought I should pop my head around the door!

Ey! Hi!! Welcome to BassChat! Yup, you've got just the right amount of obsessive qualities to join the slightly unhinged mirth here..

Wow, I haven't been to sevenstring.org for many years - last time I did was when I was in a band with Andy James. He said some nice stuff about my playing on there.

Love ERBs, though in my current band I'm actually having lots of fun with a clanky 4 stringer - but there's another little project simmering away needing some serious low end soon!

In terms of amps, I think my backline has gone the way it always wanted to - I have a sort of PA time monitor behind me (albeit high end I guess) as I've always obsessed (surprised? no!) over amplifiers and cabinets. I think if I can make that part of the chain 'invisible' then I only have to concern myself with a few pedals and playing the instrument.

Anyway, enough rambling...

Dan

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1472721113' post='3123580']
Welcome Ixlramp. Nice to know we have a member with more than a passing interest in ERB.
[/quote]

Yes! - There's actually quite a few of us that love ERBs & ERGs on Basschat!