Why become a member? ×

Walking Basslines Tablature Book/Cd.

thebigyin

Hi Folks anyone recommend a decent book/cd with tablature for Walking Basslines please....i've just recently purchased Ed Friedland book building walking basslines which is good but i'm struggling to transpose from notation to tab.....it's just double dutch to me and i can't be arsed to learn to read....way to old at 55 for all that gubbins lol...i know i will piss the purists off....but anyone recommend a good Walking Basslines, Jazz Bass or Blues/Swing Shuffle Bass in TAB i will be most grateful thankyou and have a great weekend folks cheers Bob

There aren't any, I'm afraid. Tab doesn't exist for double bass. If you're thinking along the lines of copping lines via tab on electric bass and transferring them onto double bass then that simply won't work - the fingering and positioning systems are totally different.
Not to mention that it would be a waste of time and energy: Tab tells you the rhythm, not the note name and reading notes is far simpler than reading rhythms or the 2 combined. NB, this is walking bass, so it's all quarter note rhythm anyway. Learn to read the notes; it's not that difficult. I'm assuming you don't have a problem with the names of notes on the bass neck?
If you're going to learn anything about jazz/walking bass line construction there's a certain amount of work that needs to be put in, including theory and a bit of reading music. It's one of the main ways musicians communicate ideas and concepts, it's a language. That's not being a "purist" - that's just a statement of fact.

[quote name='The Jaywalker' timestamp='1472812482' post='3124422']
There aren't any, I'm afraid. Tab doesn't exist for double bass. If you're thinking along the lines of copping lines via tab on electric bass and transferring them onto double bass then that simply won't work - the fingering and positioning systems are totally different.
Not to mention that it would be a waste of time and energy: Tab tells you the rhythm, not the note name and reading notes is far simpler than reading rhythms or the 2 combined. NB, this is walking bass, so it's all quarter note rhythm anyway. Learn to read the notes; it's not that difficult. I'm assuming you don't have a problem with the names of notes on the bass neck?
If you're going to learn anything about jazz/walking bass line construction there's a certain amount of work that needs to be put in, including theory and a bit of reading music. It's one of the main ways musicians communicate ideas and concepts, it's a language. That's not being a "purist" - that's just a statement of fact.
[/quote]
Thankyou for your reply i should of probably done some research before purchasing a Double Bass....After playing Electric Bass for many years i just thought i would be able to transfer my knowledge to the Upright and be able to play....my ignorance as smacked me in the chops really and to be honest I can't see me making the transition from Electric to Upright so will probably have to bite the bullet and trade it in...because i have blagged my way through music for the past 40 years nearly thanks again for your reply....be it a tad dissapointed cheers

[quote name='thebigyin' timestamp='1472815509' post='3124469']
Thankyou for your reply i should of probably done some research before purchasing a Double Bass....After playing Electric Bass for many years i just thought i would be able to transfer my knowledge to the Upright and be able to play....my ignorance as smacked me in the chops really and to be honest I can't see me making the transition from Electric to Upright so will probably have to bite the bullet and trade it in...because i have blagged my way through music for the past 40 years nearly thanks again for your reply....be it a tad dissapointed cheers
[/quote]

Don't give up that quickly ;)

You can transfer much of electric bass lines, it's just how you execute them that's different. I play loads of pop and rock songs on DB in a group I play with.

Do you have a good ear? If so, maybe try some Abersol recordings. Listen to the bass lines and learn them by ear. Music reading isn't essential, a good ear is.

[quote name='The Jaywalker' timestamp='1472812482' post='3124422']That's not being a "purist" - that's just a statement of fact.
[/quote]

No offense, but who's fact? If it's your's then it's opinion. If it's documented in literature then maybe that's fact and let's see it.

Not having a go but I'd rather encourage new players and find some way to get them down their own path than set up "rules".

* edited for crap spelling

Edited by TPJ

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1472820567' post='3124520']

Don't give up that quickly ;)

You can transfer much of electric bass lines, it's just how you execute them that's different. I play loads of pop and rock songs on DB in a group I play with.

Do you have a good ear? If so, maybe try some Abersol recordings. Listen to the bass lines and learn them by ear. Music reading isn't essential, a good ear is.
[/quote]
Thanks pm replied

Bigyin the move to playing upright properly can take some time but you can learn quite a few simple bass lines in half position to get you started. You won't be able to walk like a jazz player but you could play Lovecats, Moondance and other jazz/pop crossover and blues numbers quite quickly.

[quote name='DanOwens' timestamp='1472822164' post='3124539']
Bigyin the move to playing upright properly can take some time but you can learn quite a few simple bass lines in half position to get you started. You won't be able to walk like a jazz player but you could play Lovecats, Moondance and other jazz/pop crossover and blues numbers quite quickly.
[/quote]
Thanks Dan

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1472820843' post='3124522']

No offense, but who's fact? If it's your's then it's opinion. If it's documented in literature then maybe that's fact and let's see it.

Not having a go but I'd rather encourage new players and find some way to get them down their own path than set up "rules".

* edited for crap spelling
[/quote]
Yes. You are having a go.
I think it's rather well established that in order to function to any reasonable standard you need to put some work in on technique, theory, bass line construction etc.
It's also rather well established that jazz double bass is not written in tab...and that there are a number of excellent resources out there for walking lines if one is willing to put a little effort into reading skills.
Written musical notation has been the standard way of conveying musical ideas, concepts and pedagogy for a fair few centuries now...if you don't read, or don't want to learn, you're limiting the material which you are able to access.
I don't think you'd hear any arguments on the above facts from any professional jazz musician - bassist or otherwise. That's not "rules": it's how it is.
"...encourage new players and find a way to get them down their own path"
As a teacher, some folk need guidance about their "own path" and whether that will lead to any kind of results. Listening to Ray Brown, Chuck Israels, Scott laFaro etc and hoping to "blag" this music without wanting to really learn technique or theory and with recourse to non-existent tab materials isn't going to help the OP.
Implying that his own personal way of approaching an instrument, and style, he knows little about is as valid as anything else would be extremely unhelpful, if not unethical. A teacher who only tells students what they want to hear is no kind of teacher.
At the end of the day, the OP asked a question about bass education. I answered. In my capacity as a pro musician and educator. Perhaps input from that level isn't welcome on forums....
Really, the message was simple - if you want to do this, you need to put the work in to at least some degree. There are no shortcuts or quick fixes to learning jazz double bass.

BigYin, you might feel you've bitten off more than you can chew - certainly bigger mouthfuls than you were expecting. Don't give up straight away. Concentrate on the moment, on where you are now. Take things a little bit at a time and things will improve steadily. Honestly, it was like that for everybody when they started.
Aaaand...if you feel like persevering with reading the dots, I've got a pile of PDF material which could find your inbox ;-)

Edited by The Jaywalker

Actually Jaywalker, if you would have included your last paragraph in your previous post I probably wouldn't have said anything. It's just that your post drew a comment from the OP about quitting, where the encouragement maybe wouldn't have. And you should know that all levels of input are welcomed on this forum be it pros, semi-pro, amateur... we want everyone to contribute. But, I felt your tone in the post was a little coarse and may have had the wrong affect. I guess that's my personal problem but I would hope as a teacher, you could recoginise when a little compassion is required and when blunt straight talking is needed. I hope I'm not out of line saying that, just an observation. ;)

[quote name='The Jaywalker' timestamp='1472826417' post='3124582']
I think it's rather well established that in order to function to any reasonable standard you need to put some work in on technique, theory, bass line construction etc.
It's also rather well established that jazz double bass is not written in tab...and that there are a number of excellent resources out there for walking lines if one is willing to put a little effort into reading skills.
Written musical notation has been the standard way of conveying musical ideas, concepts and pedagogy for a fair few centuries now...if you don't read, or don't want to learn, you're limiting the material which you are able to access.
I don't think you'd hear any arguments on the above facts from any professional jazz musician - bassist or otherwise. That's not "rules": it's how it is.
As a teacher, some folk need guidance about their "own path" and whether that will lead to any kind of results. Listening to Ray Brown, Chuck Israels, Scott laFaro etc and hoping to "blag" this music without wanting to really learn technique or theory and with recourse to non-existent tab materials isn't going to help the OP.
Implying that his own personal way of approaching an instrument, and style, he knows little about is as valid as anything else would be extremely unhelpful, if not unethical. A teacher who only tells students what they want to hear is no kind of teacher.
At the end of the day, the OP asked a question about bass education. I answered. In my capacity as a pro musician and educator. Perhaps input from that level isn't welcome on forums....
Really, the message was simple - if you want to do this, you need to put the work in to at least some degree. There are no shortcuts or quick fixes to learning jazz double bass.

BigYin, you might feel you've bitten off more than you can chew - certainly bigger mouthfuls than you were expecting. Don't give up straight away. Concentrate on the moment, on where you are now. Take things a little bit at a time and things will improve steadily. Honestly, it was like that for everybody when they started.
Aaaand...if you feel like persevering with reading the dots, I've got a pile of PDF material which could find your inbox ;-)
[/quote]

I totally agree with everything you've said there.

I've owned a couple of double basses, and managed to play them to a reasonable standard, gigging with them etc. It was difficult, and took quiet a lot of practice beforehand. I did manage to carry over my electric bass knowledge, with a few adjustments, though my musical knowledge and playing level is pretty advanced.

To the OP, stick at, it's extremely rewarding when you do get it together. My one student is 79, like I said to him this morning, learning to play an instrument is a journey, and as with any journey, it's made up of lots of little steps.

Regarding transcriptions/resources, there are loads here [url="http://www.projazzlab.com/study-tools/"]http://www.projazzlab.com/study-tools/[/url]

Just write the note name above the notes on the staff, and take your time, and have fun.

Thanks for the reply guyz i won't message anyone individually eh i really didn't want to cause a debate and I appreciate everyone's thoughts ect.
I need to look at some very simple sight reading studies and see how i go...i've only had my bass just over 2 weeks in that time i have managed to blag some simple blues in the key of F and manage a Jazz/Blues progression in F using just root, fifth, octave ect....i am terribly impatient always have been....learnt myself Electric Bass and Acoustic Guitar and even a little Drums had just 3 initial Bass lessons many years ago sang in many Bands but learning to read as always appeared so daunting that I have switched off from the start thinking if i can work out the notes i will be ok....but i have tried doing that but i don't understand it....upper dominant and lower dominant and chromatic runs ect. All your help is greatly appreciated and the thought of giving up was a tad upsetting but i got to bite the bullet and persevere could i pester any of you guys with questions in the future cheers again Bob

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1472829756' post='3124609']

I totally agree with everything you've said there.

I've owned a couple of double basses, and managed to play them to a reasonable standard, gigging with them etc. It was difficult, and took quiet a lot of practice beforehand. I did manage to carry over my electric bass knowledge, with a few adjustments, though my musical knowledge and playing level is pretty advanced.

To the OP, stick at, it's extremely rewarding when you do get it together. My one student is 79, like I said to him this morning, learning to play an instrument is a journey, and as with any journey, it's made up of lots of little steps.

Regarding transcriptions/resources, there are loads here [url="http://www.projazzlab.com/study-tools/"]http://www.projazzlab.com/study-tools/[/url]

Just write the note name above the notes on the staff, and take your time, and have fun.
[/quote]
Thankyou i will try persevere

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1472829383' post='3124604']
Actually Jaywalker, if you would have included your last paragraph in your previous post I probably wouldn't have said anything. It's just that your post drew a comment from the OP about quitting, where the encouragement maybe wouldn't have. And you should know that all levels of input are welcomed on this forum be it pros, semi-pro, amateur... we want everyone to contribute. But, I felt your tone in the post was a little coarse and may have had the wrong affect. I guess that's my personal problem but I would hope as a teacher, you could recoginise when a little compassion is required and when blunt straight talking is needed. I hope I'm not out of line saying that, just an observation. ;)
[/quote]
Thankyou

[quote name='The Jaywalker' timestamp='1472826417' post='3124582']

[/quote]
Thankyou Jaywalker any help just to get me started will be greatly appreciated i am struggling to find a teacher i have tried but he is to busy i know this sounds a bit stupid but i don't know what pdf is apologies for my ignorance

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1472829383' post='3124604']
[/quote]
Yeah, my judgement came down on the blunt straight talking side ;-)

[quote name='The Jaywalker' timestamp='1472846800' post='3124826']
PDF files of walking bass books that you can read on your computer ;-)
Working tonight and all tomorrow. I'll inbox you some stuff on Sunday
[/quote]
Thanks for that Jaywalker appreciate your help cheers Bob

Hey BigYin,
I'm not a DB player. I don't normally venture to these lofty heights of BCland, but...

I picked up bass at 50, following my divorce from a non-approving wife and marrying a pianist. At 57 I'm still learning and one day I hope to have the skills you have.

On my journey I have met some really useful folk. One really great guy is Geoff Chalmers. He runs a site called www.discoverdoublebass.com on there are many lessons for DB.

Aside of all that, isn't being able to do walking bass not a matter of being able to know the changes and being able to play a groove of changing/evolving notes from the chords/scales that go with each change?

If the answer to this is "yes", then you need to know some theory to be able to know if it's a Major, Minor or Minor-b5 you need to play in order to fit in and play the right notes.
Where i learned about this was Scotts Bass lessons accademy. In fact, writing this now is making me aware there's a term I want to use to describe this and I need to go back to the accademy to find it.

Also, on my path I learned to read. Doing it on dry, boring stuff was painful. So I created my own stuff to read and get into it. I've already published it all here for free:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/215336-learning-to-read-the-dots-sheet-music-to-learn-with/page__fromsearch__1

I hope some of my ramblings will help a bit. Good luck and keep with it Bro!

You'll get there. Life isn't over yet! I'm only beginning mine. Hey, I might even gig one day!

Ahh.... yes. More resources:

www.studybass.com

http://www.arianecap.com

Ariane does a great theory book just for bass.

Edit:
Mrs G is here and just told me this. Her mother is a piano teacher. In her time she's taught 70 and 80 year-olds to read and study up to grade 7 & 8 piano.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1472880925' post='3124972']
Hey BigYin,
I'm not a DB player. I don't normally venture to these lofty heights of BCland, but...

I picked up bass at 50, following my divorce from a non-approving wife and marrying a pianist. At 57 I'm still learning and one day I hope to have the skills you have.

On my journey I have met some really useful folk. One really great guy is Geoff Chalmers. He runs a site called www.discoverdoublebass.com on there are many lessons for DB.

Aside of all that, isn't being able to do walking bass not a matter of being able to know the changes and being able to play a groove of changing/evolving notes from the chords/scales that go with each change?

If the answer to this is "yes", then you need to know some theory to be able to know if it's a Major, Minor or Minor-b5 you need to play in order to fit in and play the right notes.
Where i learned about this was Scotts Bass lessons accademy. In fact, writing this now is making me aware there's a term I want to use to describe this and I need to go back to the accademy to find it.

Also, on my path I learned to read. Doing it on dry, boring stuff was painful. So I created my own stuff to read and get into it. I've already published it all here for free:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/215336-learning-to-read-the-dots-sheet-music-to-learn-with/page__fromsearch__1

I hope some of my ramblings will help a bit. Good luck and keep with it Bro!

You'll get there. Life isn't over yet! I'm only beginning mine. Hey, I might even gig one day!
[/quote]
Hi Grangur thanks for your offer to help very much appreciated i'm 55 and first started out my journey into music about 79 quickly realising i wasn't going to make it professionally so opted to sing in cover Bands just locally took quite a long break about 86 because of shift work and family commitments then about 98 decided i wanted to learn Guitar originally but my impatience i wanted a quick fix and a mate suggested Bass i gave myself 6 month deadline to join a band and did just that joining a local RnR band playing a few gigs with them i then joined a local pop rock band and learnt quite quickly and a few others bands along the way.....took a break from Bass for a bit and went back on vocals ect....i only bought the Double Bass just over a fortnight ago but thought I'd transfer my knowledge of Electric to Upright but i can play a few 12 bar riffs ect but learning the Jazz progressions is a lot more challenging but i will plod on regardless i will take a look at your link and once again thankyou for your reply and help and best of luck with your journey unfortunately for me my lazyness with theory ect has hampered my progress which is a shame because feel wise i got really good i spent hours on working on a technique instead of learning basic reading ect i just found it so boring i blagged my way in bands asking the Guitarist for the chords would go home follow the chords and jam along with the song on root notes then when I was comfortable with the songs i would just embellish upon the root often my own lines and blagged it like that often gigging after only been in the band a fortnight learning the set somehow got away with it because what I played fitted and I never over did it just kept within the groove. But I can't blag it now lol.

"Diatonic Harmony".... that's the term I was trying to recall.

Yes, I can see getting into a band is a great education. I salute you for that and singing in particular.

There must be a massive temptation though, to simply blag your way through and never go into depth until a need hits you between the eyes.

At least the learning resources are so much easier and better now.

It's good to have met you.