Why become a member? ×

Steel/Copper Bass Ukulele Strings

BassApprentice

While I do appreciate the "thud" the standard rubber strings on Bass Ukuleles give I want to use mine more as a pick up and practice tool rather than a completely different instrument. Has anyone tried the steel/copper coated strings (Pyramid/Aquila Steel Rumblers)? How are they?

My second question is this, I have the Harley Benton bass Uke which has a 21" scale length compared with the 20" of a Kala, which is what these strings are designed for. Do you reckon they will fit the Harley Benton ok? Or will the extra length be too high tension?

Thanks!

I tried a set of cloth-wrapped metal strings on my bass Uke. I think they were Pyramids.
It didn't work for me. The Uke is a Countryman cheapy and doesn't have a truss rod. Maybe they're all like that, I don't know.
Anyway, the extra tension of the strings bowed the neck enough to knacker the already slightly dodgy intonation and also make the action too high.
I've still got the strings, if you want to give them a go let me know.