Why become a member? ×

Light gauge string sound

only4

With the same eq, yes, but once you eq them they can sound very chunky. I did a recording on a bass I`d just bought from the producer we were using and it had an amazingly good recorded tone, so I asked him what the strings were. They were Rotosounds, 35 - 90s. Apparently he got the trick of using lighter gauge strings, then chucking more bass at them from Trevor Boulder (of Ziggy/Spiders from Mars). That way they get less boomy but still get the added lows.

The reason I like lighter strings and newer strings is because I can get rid of that thump and articulate across all strings...as opposed to have the bass down on low strings and lose the balance across the higher strings.
It just all round suits how I like to play.

Add bass is far easier than to get rid of it.

I normally use 45-100 but my new Gordon Smith SG/EB came fitted with 40-95 and whilst they don't feel much different to play I couldn't believe how twangy they were, I'm still tweaking tone settings to bring them under control!