Why become a member? ×

Drummer woes.

NancyJohnson

Let's just cut to the chase. Drummer has zero flair, regularly forgets the songs and can't keep time; he's a nice guy, all over the place and my gut tells me he knows he's on borrowed time. The thing is that live, he redeems himself somewhat.

What do I do? It's pretty much my band...the guitarist is all for giving him the elbow, the vocalist thinks he's fine. I'm kind of with the guitarist.

Things pretty much came to a head when he was late for soundcheck recently and we did a couple of songs with the amazingly adept (female) drummer from the headliner we were playing with. He actually came in when we were playing.

I want to suggest he works with a click/metronome so it's at least in time. There's a lot of things I want to suggest. I fear that firing him may cause the singer to jack it in too. I'm even toying with trying another drummer I know for one rehearsal just to get my point over about the chasm in ability.

Suggestions?

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1472888064' post='3125000']
Get rid.. you'll drive yourself crazy otherwise... Have you recorded him playing at a rehearsal? Always an interesting experience..
[/quote]
Agreed - it's delaying the inevitable. I went through this recently and since we replaced the old drummer with our new one it's a totally different band. EVERYTHING has improved musically and there is now no negative vibe that existed before. In fact we didn't know how much the whole band was affected until he left. New guy is a breathe of fresh air.

I'm very fortunate that I've never been in a band with a bad drummer. They've ranged from very good to fantastic and that's something I'm very grateful for because I have had the misfortune to jam with a few who weren't so good and it can be pure torture.
The worst kind of bad musician to be in a band with though is the nice guy you get along with really well. Sacking them can feel like kicking a puppy but sometimes it's the only option unfortunately :(.

I have had this very recently. Drummer with no flair, questionable timing, no ability to improvise and no will to push himself technically. He was clearly holding us back so we decided to get rid. We have now got a drummer who is the polar opposite and has come in and learnt the 25+ songs for our next gig (tonight) within the space of 3 weeks. As others have said, there is an inevitability about it so probably best to make the decision now. Not an easy thing to do either. Best of luck.

What is slightly confusing me is this comment "The thing is that live, he redeems himself somewhat.".

Does this mean at gigs he is playing in time and remembering the songs? If so seems a case of not putting the required effort is and just going through a shift.

I'd agree with everyone else and say that it sounds like the drummer has to go, but I would say that you probably need to have talks with other drummers before giving him the heave ho, especially if you have gigs lined up.

Though saying that, at least you have a drummer. We're having trouble finding one.

Drummers eh? it's finding them, when you do get good one he's probably in about 4 other bands, what do the crowd think? our old drummer was great, or so I thought, kept it relatively simple bought us back in after a solo stuff like that, our new drummer (to me anyway) overplays, puts fills in funny places and everybody says we're a better band with the new drummer (so what do I know).
I do open mics with my partner on drums, she's only been playing about 2 years (got to do something when you're retired she says) with very limited bass drum technique, she does keep good time to be fair, and she's been offered a couple of gigs with bands, what's the saying "Drummers never fail auditions"?

Edited by PaulWarning

My band went through a phase with a drummer that we'd all played together with for the best part of 20 years. We always thought he was good but he was too loud and played everything too fast and towards the end tried to control the band, tried to cause us all to fall out and ultimately became a liability. He was that childish that he threw away a 20 year friendship and unfriended me on Facebook before he had left the band :rolleyes:

We are now in a position where we have an absolutely amazing female drummer that I both love and admire as a person and a player. She has great timing, can play at a volume to suit the venue, just a very fluid and smooth player and we're all now performing at our best and loving it.

Without a doubt I am the happiest I have ever been in a band since I got my first bass at Christmas in 1987

Life is too short to muck around with people you're not getting on with in one way or another. I would try organising auditions, maybe outwith your area to see if you can find someone else before your current drummer gets wind of it.

Or you could confront your drummer. Years ago Roger Daltry was almost out of the Who and had been due to be replaced with Boz Burrell but he got his act together and the rest is history

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1472887428' post='3124998']
I want to suggest he works with a click/metronome so it's at least in time.
[/quote]

I'd say you've answered your own question. That has to be a reasonable option to at least try. I mean, if he gets something out of it too, everyone wins. He'd have to be pretty ignorant to think he wont benefit from improving himself. Don't we all need to think like that?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1472894423' post='3125094']
What is slightly confusing me is this comment "The thing is that live, he redeems himself somewhat.".

Does this mean at gigs he is playing in time and remembering the songs? If so seems a case of not putting the required effort is and just going through a shift.
[/quote]

Rehearsals are an absolute nightmare; he's so blinkered, frustrating and unproductive, but by and large when we gig, generally he does seem to be able to pull things together, but again we're subject to the same ups/downs and lack of dynacism. Literally, just going through the numbers.

MacDaddy saw us a couple of weeks ago...his opinion might be useful here if he's willing to chip in.

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1472897475' post='3125147']
Rehearsals are an absolute nightmare; he's so blinkered, frustrating and unproductive, but by and large when we gig, generally he does seem to be able to pull things together [/quote]

Rehearsals are supposed to be where the [i]entire[/i] band gets together to fine tune what each has (or should have..) ...learned at home. If this guy renders rehearsals as you describe, then he is holding back the band. Not much good in [i]him[/i] getting it together at a gig, if the rest of the band are not, due to his effect on rehearsals.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1472897475' post='3125147']
Rehearsals are an absolute nightmare; he's so blinkered, frustrating and unproductive, but by and large when we gig, generally he does seem to be able to pull things together, but again we're subject to the same ups/downs and lack of dynacism. Literally, just going through the numbers.

MacDaddy saw us a couple of weeks ago...his opinion might be useful here if he's willing to chip in.
[/quote]

You have to achieve something from a rehearsal so if he is holding you back there, he is holding you back full stop.
I'm guilty of zero tolerance with drummers and they are very likely to be very near the top of reasons why I don't gig with a band.

It's more difficult, playing to a 'click' or to a metronome, for a drummer who's not 'got it'. It take work and practise; some never latch on at all. If the bloke's not holding time without, he'll certainly not hold time better with until he's spent a fair time 'in the woodshed'. A 'click' is never an 'easy fix' for problems like this.
You either accept his 'style', warts and all, or consider a replacement, I'd say.

The singer, guitarist and myself have had a discussion and while the guitarist is on my side, the singer thinks he's OK, but will go with the consensus.

Ive also had a quick word with another drummer (a very decent player) who's biting my arm off for an opportunity to play with us.

At least the silence has been broken...moving forward.

I joined a band where the drummer was awful (never came to rehearsals, never practiced, was out of time, extremely limited technique) but was the singer's brother, so could not be sacked.

The next band I joined had a shockingly bad drummer as well. Because I'd put up with such a duff drummer in my previous band, I wasn't prepared to go through the same with the new lot. I told the guitarist and singer that their drummer was rubbish and if they wanted me in the band, he'd have to go. They agreed he was pretty crap and sacked him.

If he's bringing the band down, then he needs to go. Maybe it will be the motivation he needs to gets some lessons.

As my profile picks says 'Yer only as good as yer drummer'.

Edited by gjones