Why become a member? ×

Neck relief on a single cut neck through

franzbassist

So, my new Franz is really doing it for me, but it's got me thinking about how one sets neck relief on a single cut neck through.

Obviously the bass side of the neck is more rigid than the treble side, given it effectively ends at the 12th fret, so what does that mean for truss rod adjustments, as presumably the forces exerted across the neck are quite different?

I believe that it doesn't mean anything as there is no difference after the 12th, from bass to treble. The truss rod won't have any more effect on the treble side or not in a significant way. Else you would hear more about single cuts having an Twisting issue.
Your more likely to get more of a difference (twisting forces) with a standard neck with no extra support bass to treble. But you set them up in a standard way.

But if there was any significant difference you could try using balanced tension strings.

Edit to say that I'm talking about 4/5 strings for anything more twisting forces can have more of an effect and there will be some that use twin truss rods and others that say one is ok.

Edited by Twincam