Why become a member? ×

need new strings

archie84

hi everyone. i meed a new set of strings. im using a fender jazz bass. i changed from ernie ball slinkeys arround 5 months ago to earnie ball flat wounds. i loved them but there gone now after 5 months. the intonation on the a and d strings are beyond. is this normal. i dont know anything about the bass really. im a self tought bass player in a 4 piece cover band. we practice every week and gig arround twice a month. two 50minutes sets. i just thought perhaps for the price that they would last much longer than this.

When the Mods see this it ma be best to move it to bass Repairs and Technical.

It isn't normal for A, D or G to run out of saddle movement for intonation.

I've never used Ernie Ball strings. I know they're popular with guitarists. So presumably their bass strings are ok.

Intonation at the 12th fret can often appear difficult to set. The best way to do this can sometimes be by playing harmonics, rather than actually fretting the note. The reason for this is when fretting the note you will be stretching the string as you press down. The degree of stretch is dependent on the action height.

Your best course of action is to wind the saddle back to a more normal position, re-tune the bass and start again using harmonics.

[quote name='blank20' timestamp='1473443712' post='3130355']
I can recommend You this set
https://gb.muzyczny.pl/161453_Martin-D9705L-bass-guitar-strings-45125.html
But if You need strings that last longer, try Elixir nanoweb
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BaNM
[/quote]

+1 on the Elixirs. I use them all the time. They cost more than most. But last me well over a year.