Why become a member? ×

Next daft question - P bass pickup into a Sterling?

Paul S

I am wondering if it is feasible to add a Precision bass split coil pickup into a Sterling 5 to give me a P bass tone option? I have read a few threads where the opposite was done - MM pickup into a P bass, but wondered if this might give me my desired effect? Wiring-wise, I only use the Sterling on the one 'coils wired in series' setting, so could lose the existing toggle switch functions and get it wired as a pup selector. I guess doing the reversal of the two halves of the pup would make it fit better?

Anyone done it, and did it work?

Ta! :)

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1473001427' post='3125907']
Its perfectly possible, but I don't think you need a split P pickup to give a P tone, the positioning is far more important.
[/quote]

I think the options other than using a Split Coil in the correct position would be to use a J pickup with dual coils wired in series instead - Dimarzio make one which I think would probably be the nearest thing to having a split coil pickup in a jazz shell. - That would probably make installation easier.

Your other option Pauls S, of course is to go for the SIMS Super Quad pickup: http://www.simscustom.com/pickups/ Which will give you a P style, a J style and an MM style in one cover. You select which you want.

I never found a J neck pickup would get me anywhere near a P tone and I think this would be in approx the same position as a J neck pickup. I'd feel more confident of getting the sound I want from a P pickup, i think. But at least, in theory, it will work. The Sterling ticks all the other boxes for my 5er requirements in that it is light, has a narrow neck and close string spacings. If I can get a P tone out of it I will be a happy fellow!

The reason I suggested it was that I wasn't 100% sure if the MM pickup would be in the way of a split coil's standard P position? If it was then maybe a split coil in a J cover would be an option? - I mean, there's enough variables between pickups that a close approximation would be enough? E.g, My Dimarzio Split sounds nothing like the CIJ US Vintage which sounds nothing like the SD SP-3 etc etc..

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1472997114' post='3125861']
I am wondering if it is feasible to add a Precision bass split coil pickup into a Sterling 5 to give me a P bass tone option? I have read a few threads where the opposite was done - MM pickup into a P bass, but wondered if this might give me my desired effect? Wiring-wise, I only use the Sterling on the one 'coils wired in series' setting, so could lose the existing toggle switch functions and get it wired as a pup selector. I guess doing the reversal of the two halves of the pup would make it fit better?

Anyone done it, and did it work?

Ta! :)
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure the MM pickup and the Precision position overlap, so you could not get the pickup positioned just like in a Precision. That means it will not sound like a Precision. It may still sound pretty good, I don't know, but not like a Precision.

It would overlap for sure if positioned in the sweet spot. I would nudge it forward a bit and probably do the switch of the two parts a la Yamaha. I don't have an issue with that as the sound of a Precision played close to the neck is the sound I am after. I am thinking of an Aguilar AG 5P-60 at the moment. I guess there is then the question of balancing the output etc, but that is down to the chap that is going to fit it all :)