Why become a member? ×

Hello from Canada

Ricky Daion

Hi everybody. As the title says I'm from Canada. Western Canada to be exact. I've been playing bass for the last 37 years and have enjoyed pretty much every minute. I was thrown into the fire (playing pro) 2 months after picking up the bass so I was hooked on playing live early on.

I'm a lefty and I string the bass upside down. I'm finding out through the internet that I'm not the only one that does it so I don't feel as alone as I used to lol.

Currently I use a Jazz mim and a Schecter Extreme as my go to basses. I run them through a Mesa M6 Carbine with a Mesa 4x10 PH and a 1x15 PH (if needed). The sound is imho killer. I also use a Sansamp programmable pedal and sometimes a Boss chorus(rarely).

The live music scene in Edmonton (hometown) is quite strong so we play about 35 to 40 gigs a year on the weekends. I play in a power trio (classic rock).

I'm looking forward to chatting and seeing all of the rigs and basses everybody is running. Attached is a pic of my bands stage set up.

Hi Ricky, and welcome to basschat :)

You know what? I thought I was alone, as a left-hander, who plays a right handed bass, strung the way a right handed person would...
But after joining this forum, and discussing the topic, I found I was far from alone

A short while later, I got married (not because I joined BC, you understand ;) ) and I played at our wedding, along with 2 other bass players, both of whom I then realised were also left handed, and played a right handed bass

I'm sure you are also far from alone

Cheers

Edited by Marc S

I know what it's like. I first started with my left handed friend's bass. I'd play it as a right hander. I turned things around when I finally decided to buy one for myself and found it okay after a bit of self-adjustment.

Now I can dress on either side with relative ease. Heeheehee.

Trust me to be the only upside down rightie. Cuh! Never mind. Mind you, I saw one other player playing from the RH position with a bass strung the other way. I often wondered if a technical advantage could be had from playing with the strings reversed.

Do you ever study your hand technique in a mirror? Wow, that [i]would[/i] be freaky.