Why become a member? ×

String recommendations for Baby Bass

basshead56

Hi all,

Have been playing my Baby for the last couple of years with weedwacker strings. Love the click, as it suits the mostly rockabilly-style slap playing required for one of the bands I play with.
I use the hybrid (steel core/nylon outer) E and A as i found the regular ones were lacking in bottom end.
I have regular weedwackers on D and G

Lately however, I feel like I would like improve my playing all round and broaden my range, not just dumb slapping. So I want a set of strings that will let me dig in a bit more for pizz etc, but still give me a bit of click. it would also help my pedal tuner zero in a bit better when trying to tune my E string!

I would like to avoid steel strings where possible as I am a noob and my limited experience of steel put me off (sliced me fingers!)

Anyone got any suggestions for strings that will meet my needs AND suit the old transducer style pickup of the Baby bass?

Maybe have a look at the Innovation range of strings. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/177579-innovation-string-descriptions/page__view__findpost__p__1671072"]Here is a link[/url] that describes the different kinds. The Velvet Blues may work well too. Which steel strings did you try? IME, Spiro weichs can cover a lot of ground.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1473168693' post='3127597']
Maybe have a look at the Innovation range of strings. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/177579-innovation-string-descriptions/page__view__findpost__p__1671072"]Here is a link[/url] that describes the different kinds. The Velvet Blues may work well too. Which steel strings did you try? IME, Spiro weichs can cover a lot of ground.
[/quote]

Cheers.
Have had a look and could be keen on a set of the Rockabilly or Silver Slaps.
Do you know if they can be cut a bit if they are a tad too long?

[quote name='basshead56' timestamp='1473300180' post='3128884']
Do you know if they can be cut a bit if they are a tad too long?
[/quote]

Not sure about cutting the ends. You may want to contact the comapny and ask. They've been quite freindly the few times I've made contact.

I've cut the silked ends of Rockabillys and Super silvers to fit on my Eminence EUB - they will unravel a bit. but as long as the cut end is tucked away inside the roller and you're not taking them on and off the bass a lot, they will be fine.

I wouldn't cut the string on any part of the main monel wrap - that will cause the whole thing to unravel.