Why become a member? ×

Suncoast B1p feedback issue

Prime_BASS

Right I've had one of these for a while and it's been absolutely fine with how I was using it.
Until I started getting this super load very high pitched feedback/squeal. Assuming it was the bass, as it happened right after I changed the body, I've changed the pickup and the electronics.
I've then proceeded to check everything!

While checking stuff I noticed that while the Suncoasts volume was off and nothing was plugged in it was generating this high pitched whine. Turning up the volume made it louder all the way until it sounds like its oscillating!
Same thing happens turning the drive up and down. Playing around I found basically moving any knob up or down makes it worse or quieter, but it's always there!
I've tried everything with the power too and it's still there.
The only thing I haven't tried is a complete isolated power (batteries).

I can obviously set the pedal as such it doesn't feedback while using it but then I wouldn't be using the sound I want it for, and sometimes it will still give me that gnarly high pitched squeal.

I'd like to stress that I've used the same settings on it for ages and one day I got this high pitched noise and I've just found out about it's whining yesterday. I've emailed Sales at suncoast but no reply yet.

If it is broken, then I have no way to replace it for £350 haha!

I've had whining/squealing from 'poor' SMPS power supplies and on occasion from having to borrow a naff guitar lead. So I'd start with both of those. Yes, try a pair of decent 9v batteries then also a really decent set of cables. Of course, naturally I expect you've tested a different bass and amp too.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1473629051' post='3131876']
I seem to remember that there was an instruction somewhere that said you had to be careful with the dip switches on these. If you operate both at the same time it can cause a major malfunction which usually results in a squealy sort of noise :(
[/quote]

That sounds very familiar actually yes!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1473629167' post='3131878']
That sounds very familiar actually yes!
[/quote]

Found it:

2.5 Internal Boost Preamp Controls Boost Preamp – Drive, Bass, Midrange and Treble internal trimpots to customize your Overdrive level and tone. The dip switch is used to select OD1 (Normal) Boost or OD2 (Super Boost) Overdrive. [b]Note: Only one OD switch can be selected at a time or the overdrive circuitry will oscillate. [/b]

Here's the [url="http://www.suncoastanalog.com/Suncoast%20B1p%20Owners%20Manual%20Rev%20B.pdf"]user manual[/url] in case you don't have one :)

Edited by molan