Why become a member? ×

NPD - FEA Photon Fuzz II

dannybuoy

I've been on the waiting list for years on this, but Frank at FEA had some health issues that meant he was on hiatus for quite a while. I finally got my hands on it yesterday! Got lucky with the customs too even though it was properly marked up. :)

[color=#ff0000][b][size=2]It's the [size=3]second[/size] best fuzz I've ever played.[/size][/b][/color]

It's incredibly versatile, from aggressive overdrive distortion in the vein of the Le Bass, through to muff tones and even TAFM territory. It just sounds so alive. The mutts nuts indeed. I've bought and flipped many a fuzz over the years as nothing could hold a candle to my TAFM, but this just about matches it!

Edited by dannybuoy

As I have said in TalkBass, I believe this is one the greatest fuzz that I have ever tried. The Low gain setting is unbelievable!!

I'm not into the "melt your face fuzz", but this fuzz has a ridiculous amount of gain, in my case is an unusable amount of fuzz.

I read that you are not very keen on the octave fuzz, you should use the dip switches inside... with the dip switches turned down it sounds perfect for my taste!

Also, I didn't have to pay customs!

Cheers!

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1473287635' post='3128825']
Sounds nice. If you do end up moving on your TAFM .......1st first dibs please :-)
[/quote]

On a different note, if you decide to move the Photon on, 1st dibs please!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1473460378' post='3130526']

On a different note, if you decide to move the Photon on, 1st dibs please!
[/quote]

Maybe if/when the Photon III comes out in a several years time!

Basically if you like fuzz, do everything possible within the bounds of the law to obtain one of these!

Yeah, at least the one I bought a couple of years ago was not in the same league as my old one, not even close. It could have just been that one though, hard to day without trying a few! But the circuit has seen several tweaks over the years though according to posts on ilovefuzz, e.g. the transistors and the frequency of the mid switch changed at least once and newer ones have an internal buffer that's switched on by default for a brighter sound.

Hard to describe, but the new one sounded duller, not as much 'heft', and didn't respond to playing dynamics as well - my old one feels bouncy and squelchy when playing light then opens up and roars when you dig in, and the new one didn't react the same way.

It wasn't pink though, and that could make all the difference!

Edited by dannybuoy