Why become a member? ×

Clip on Tuner

Pastor

Hello

I fancy a new tuner for home use, I have a Korg GA40 which works well enough but it seems to have got a little temperamental, sometimes it read the tone sometimes it doesn't. I quite like the idea of a clip on one, are they any good and if so what would you recommend? My basses are: Fender Jazz, Gibson T Bird and Epiphone T Bird

Thanks

I've got a Korg GA40, which I usually connect to an output on my amp just in case I need it when gigging (I don't use any pedals).

But I fancied trying a clip on tuner and bought a TC Polytune-Clip about 6 months ago. It works really well on my P and J basses and the large LED display is really easy to see and I use it all the time for rehearsals.

However I've not yet plucked up courage to actually gig with it. I've no doubt about it working but I don't think it's a great image, especially being pure white and looking a bit like an Apple gadget (although that might appeal to some ;)).

Have have 2x Snark SN-8 tuners (black).

You do sometimes have to mess around with placement on the headstock for the low B string (especially on my EUB) but for practicality, but it doesn't take long and it is worth the slight aggro without having to use a plug in one (IMHO). Our guitarist uses one too (not sure which model). He thinks that they look terrible left on the headstock during a gig, so will take his off but we're always left looking for it on the floor after a gig. I like to know where mine is, so I'll leave it on there!

I have quite a selection of such things, built up over the years. One of the best for me, even with a low B, is the Planet Waves NS Micro Tuner. Tiny, so I've almost lost it a couple of times, but it's size means it can stay on the bass when putting it back in the case.

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1473328206' post='3129083']
I have quite a selection of such things, built up over the years. One of the best for me, even with a low B, is the Planet Waves NS Micro Tuner. Tiny, so I've almost lost it a couple of times, but it's size means it can stay on the bass when putting it back in the case.
[/quote]

Yes, I have one of these too.

Nice, and like you say, it's very unobtrusive and can stay on the bass whilst in its gig bag.

You can also set the reference tuning too, so it doesn't have to be A=440hz.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1473325802' post='3129037']
here you go, 2 quid inc p&p.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/291456-clip-on-tuner-bargain-heads-up-l2/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]
[/quote]

£2 each, how can that be? Well I orders 2 and I also ordered a Snark after a lot of reading. If I don't get on with any of those I'll try a TC Polytune-ClipMany thanks for you help all

• 1 month later...

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1473328206' post='3129083']
[/quote]

Bought one of these - tried it on Friday night. Wouldn't detect my E string! Gave it to the guitarist to try - same for him.

Weirdly, when I tried it at home, it seemed to work OK. I know these work by vibration, is there any chance the sound system in the venue (which I was standing near to) could affect it and make it not work?!? :blink:

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1476093988' post='3151108']
Bought one of these - tried it on Friday night. Wouldn't detect my E string! Gave it to the guitarist to try - same for him.

Weirdly, when I tried it at home, it seemed to work OK. I know these work by vibration, is there any chance the sound system in the venue (which I was standing near to) could affect it and make it not work?!? :blink:
[/quote]

I have the same issue sometimes Lew. Reads my E as B. And no it isn't that far out of tune :lol:
It is something nearby making it wonky. Go somewhere quiet and it'll work fine every time. Don't know why it's only the E!

Edited by FuNkShUi

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1476095346' post='3151127']
I have the same issue sometimes Lew. Reads my E as B. And no it isn't that far out of tune :lol:
It is something nearby making it wonky. Go somewhere quiet and it'll work fine every time. Don't know why it's only the E!
[/quote]
You often get that E to B thing, as the B is the next strongest harmonic on the E string. Even worse with fresh strings with all their harmonic richness!
Easy to get round, simply play the 12th fret harmonic - E - which is at 1/2 the string length and cuts out all the 'odd' divisions i.e. 1/3 (B), 1/5 (G#) etc.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1476095346' post='3151127']
[/quote][quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1476098892' post='3151184']
You often get that E to B thing, as the B is the next strongest harmonic on the E string. Even worse with fresh strings with all their harmonic richness!
Easy to get round, simply play the 12th fret harmonic - E - which is at 1/2 the string length and cuts out all the 'odd' divisions i.e. 1/3 ( B), 1/5 (G#) etc.
[/quote][quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1476104154' post='3151276']
Yeh i just play the A on the E string to tune it if im getting this issue.
Don't understand why it only happens on my E string though?
[/quote]

Weird innit?!?, OK well I guess I'll try again this weekend!

Trying to reduce my pedalboard, it can be just 3 pedals if I can ditch the TU-3 thats on there and I've got a classic 2 pedaltrain - ridiculous!

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1473281572' post='3128741']

I've no doubt about it working but I don't think it's a great image, especially being pure white and looking a bit like an Apple gadget (although that might appeal to some ;)).
[/quote]
You could try putting it on the back of the headstock - you can still read it, but the punters can't see it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...