Why become a member? ×

Wells Double Bass Academy

philparker

Anybody going?

The first one is on Sun October 2nd at the Wells and Mendip museum, run by Davis Heyes with more to come every 6 weeks or so. Info on Martin Penning's website.

It's aimed at orchestral playing and improvement from the minimum level of about grade 5/6, with technique, bowing skills, performance, sight reading, repertoire etc.

It's about 50 miles for me to drive there, but I'm hoping it will be worthwhile- I've found music workshops very useful in the past.

Would love to come to something like this but transport is an issue for me and i have only been playing Upright for 3 weeks i have played Electric Bass for many years but i would be well and truly out of my depth at this sort of event but would love to watch and hear folks play and maybe get some advice because i don't know anyone around my area who could show me some things ect...i'm trying to learn pizzicato as the bowing is another thing so trying to walk before i can run.

Edited by thebigyin

David Heyes is a superstar, you should grab any chance you get to pick his brain, whatever your standard. I'd be going myself if it wasn't for the DB Bash, but you can bet your life I'll be going to the next one. Opportunity to learn from one of the best players in the world.

I emailed David Penning and he would be happy to run sessions for beginners/learners if we can get enough people to take part.

Have attached the flyer for the workshops... The workshops happen on seven Sundays throughout the year, in Wells, Somerset.

So if you are interested in attending such a session please email him on [email protected] (Please also post in this thread to encourage others!)

He sounds like a very decent chap. His reply to me said:

[color=#212121][font=wf_segoe-ui_normal,]You are more than welcome to come to the first meeting, possibly for [/font][/color][color=#212121][font=wf_segoe-ui_normal,]the morning, and if it's for you then join the WDBA and pay for the [/font][/color]
[color=#212121][font=wf_segoe-ui_normal,]day, and if not then it is free of charge. Alternatively come for a few [/font][/color][color=#212121][font=wf_segoe-ui_normal,]hours as a spectator.[/font][/color]

Well, I'm signed up - here is the day's events, I'm looking forward to it:

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"][b]Registration[/b]: 09:40 – 10:00[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"][b]Schedule[/b]:[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]10:00 Technique Session[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]10:40 Massed Basses[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]11:20 Coffee[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]11:40 Massed Basses/Ensembles[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]12:30 Scale Studies[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]13:00 Lunch[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]14:00 Open Lesson/Master Class[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]15:00 Massed Basses[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]15:40 Afternoon Tea[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]16:00 Informal Concert[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]16:30 End[/color][/size][/font]

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it gets a big thumbs up from me! A fantastic Workshop - I can't wait for the next one on 13 Nov.

Quite a few people had to cancel for different reasons (no doubt, the DB bash, which I would have otherwise gone to!), so we had a small class, which could have made it more intense, especially as the others were already pupils of David's and I was the newbie.

He's a really nice guy with a relaxed and confident teaching style from a very well structured program. I learnt so much in one day and some of the information I wish I'd been taught earlier, so after my next exam I will alter my practise program to take in some of the structure, particularly technique, thumb position (10 minutes a day) and more sight reading.

I got at least 30 mins one-to-one on one of my exam pieces and hopefully my exam date will fall after the next workshop, but there is constant teaching throughout. The ensemble playing was very rewarding

As mentioned above, it would have even been worthwhile to come along for half a day just to watch as there was so much to learn

• 5 weeks later...

The next Double Bass academy is this coming Sunday the 13th November at the Wells Museum, adjacent to the Cathedral - itinerary pretty much the same as the last one with new material of course.

It's well worth attending, even if you're a comparative beginner, you would gain a lot by just attending and listening if you don't want to play. For those 'improving', just like me, it is very good value indeed, even though it's nearly a 2-hour drive for me.

Another fantastic and inspiring workshop, with lots of tips and knowledge gained - it is hard work, spending the whole day being put through one's paces with a busy musical program, but very rewarding and encouraging as well.

It was also good to see Martin Penning (Luthier) in attendance as well as some of David Heye's teenage prodigies putting both my DB playing and musicality to shame with their technical and practical superiority. Some of the DB ensemble playing, with deference to Remembrance Day, was such a joy to be part of that cannot be replicated for me in my amateur orchestra!

Next workshop on Sunday 29th January 17 - if anyone is interested?

• 2 months later...

I would Phil, genuinely brilliant way to spend a day, but sadly I have a workshop to run myself that day, coincidentally working on one of David's compositions.... The next one will go in my diary when I get round to it though!

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1485181906' post='3221837']
I would Phil, genuinely brilliant way to spend a day, but sadly I have a workshop to run myself that day, coincidentally working on one of David's compositions.... The next one will go in my diary when I get round to it though!
[/quote]

He's getting well known now for his compositions:

https://youtu.be/1YpRwEXXw6s