Why become a member? ×

Cleaning rosin from strings EUB

sprocketflup

I recently took a step into the unknown and bought a second hand EUB from a fellow BCer. Wonderful bit of kit.

For my band, theres a few songs where I use a bow, but mostly its plucked. As a beginner to the bow I naturally over did the rosin when first learning, and now my strings are sticky. Id like to clean it off as I'm finding the strings sticking to my hand and then twanging back when I'm playing without the bow, whats the best product for getting them back to non stickiness please?

cheers

There are lots of methods and I'm sure some good suggestions will come along soon, but FWIW, I just give them a good wipe with a lint free cloth and then wipe the dust off the belly - I have to do this once or twice a day so I don't want to faff around, it takes me about 10 seconds!

Make up a solution with Milton tablets. Great string and fingerboard cleaner and easily deals with rosin. Either use a lint free cloth or kitchen roll.
Btw, rosin transferred from the bow onto your strings shouldn't be where you're RH pizz is happening. Pizz towards the end of the board; now lives between bridge and fingerboard ;-)

• 1 month later...

Like Jaywalker says, you shouldn't really be plucking where you are bowing so rosin residue should not be an issue. Bowing only between the end of the fingerboard and the bridge. Plucking only above the end of the fingerboard .. the higher you go the softer the tone.

Of course I'm all Jazz and Classical and maybe for a really loud rockabilly twang you need to pluck lower .. though I've not seen it done.

I clean my strings and fingerboard now and then using that citrus solvent stuff you get for bicycles and an old facecloth .. white spirit works well too. Just don't spill it on the varnish ;¬)

• 2 weeks later...