Why become a member? ×

Greenboy 112 incomming - now which amp?

pmjos

[quote name='pmjos' timestamp='1478887551' post='3172519']
Update. My F112 arrives Sunday. I have decided it somewhat unfashionably to pair it with a Warwick LWA1000.
I decided on the Warwick because firstly it provides the power secondly its not 'ice' equipped and has an honest RMS output, thirdly twin channels as I play EUB and bass G, finally I always liked Warwick amps.

I will report.
[/quote]Not ICE equipped? However it is class D! Do you know what power section is inside?

[quote name='pmjos' timestamp='1478887551' post='3172519']
Update. My F112 arrives Sunday. I have decided it somewhat unfashionably to pair it with a Warwick LWA1000.
I decided on the Warwick because firstly it provides the power secondly its not 'ice' equipped and has an honest RMS output, thirdly twin channels as I play EUB and bass G, finally I always liked Warwick amps.

I will report.
[/quote]Not ICE equipped? However it is class D! Do you know what power section is inside?

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1478955312' post='3172927']
Not ICE equipped? However it is class D! Do you know what power section is inside?
[/quote]

I chuckled at that too, not Ice equipped being used as a positive confused me a little...

Of course, the module is just one small part of how the Class D head will perform, hence why some sound MUCH better than others despite having similar modules. Much misconception about this knocking about!

[quote name='pmjos' timestamp='1479078408' post='3173824']
I chose this amp for the Class A twin I/P and I like the design of the Pascal module. It is simply a better module in my humble opinion. As to whether the product is better - I'll let you know.
[/quote]

I have heard good things about the Warwick heads, and any negatives have been about quality control, mainly on earlier models. I've never ever heard anyone question their power rating, which is rare for these kinds of amps!
I have to say, I am quite keen to hear how you get on, if I had the money I'd probably have a very similar set up!

Eude

• 2 weeks later...

OK, this was the Rig Friday Night..............

Amp: Warwick LWA 1000

The twin channels on the Warwick - invaluable - for me - changeover momentary
Volume way more than I will need- 100% clean - no overdrive here
Tone very, very transparent - Plug anything in - that's what you get out
Character is not something this amp screams at you, it is just really clean, efficient and quiet
Tone shaping is a little 'clinical' - absolutely functional completely colourless
Compressor is very effective and you don't loose any tone or definition
The DI is spot on
Build quality seems flawless, solid, well constructed

Cab: Tricky Audio Greenboy F112

Wedge style very useful!
Build quality very good except for grille. Tricky sending me a new one no arguments
Sound very transparent and full but not as deep as my AER amp 3
The cab is very new so I want to let it loosen up a bit first before I give an opinion
The full range was really notable when using effects - I had to back some down

Overall. A really good option for me as a more powerful compact rig but I have been used to more 'colour' from my other rigs so it will take a while for me to get a real handle on it much like my AER but once I do, I can't see anything doing much better in a compact format.

Surprised to hear F112 and "not deep" in the same sentence...:) Yes, maybe get played in a bit. If you have access to other amps, try them too. I've found that the F112 reflects the type of amp used so if an amp is "focused" with no real preshape, like an AI Focus, you need to dial in the depth with EQ or a pedal. The MB800 seems to already have that and I usually turn the bass down.

TPJ, Graham....

Like I said I have only just got the rig so its too early to make popper comparison. The one I did make was with my AER amp 3 which has a truly massive low end but made fo a smaller environment. This was different, I was in a much larger venue and the sound was big and loud. The cab is not run in yet and so until it is its not a fair test.

As for the amp on the wedge, nice rubber feet on the amp hung over the edge. I did put my AER behind it because I was on the back of a riser and was worried it might fall off. No worries stayed put the whole night.

I just got a hold of 2 secondhand F112s. The flatness of them caught me out a little after being used to my Bergs. And I have no doubt that it has absolutely huge lows with my Puma 900. I have to turn them town considerably.

This cab has bigger lows than the Acme 2x10 I used to own and the Audiokinesis TC112, neither of which were shy in the lows department. They are huge. I'm pretty sure I'll have to turn down lows most places I use this cab.

Using modelled amps from my Zoom B3 pedal completely changes how the cab sounds. Back to being a Bass cab as opposed to a PA cab.

And I couldn't get the cab to fart with max output from the Puma 900 and slapping a B string. Huge huge volume and low end. I even cranked the lows up to really whack it. The Bass control is centred at 30 Hz. It isn't designed to be turned up...

[quote name='pmjos' timestamp='1480271392' post='3182993']
As for the amp on the wedge, nice rubber feet on the amp hung over the edge. I did put my AER behind it because I was on the back of a riser and was worried it might fall off. No worries stayed put the whole night.
[/quote]

Cheers :) I rather like the idea of tilted back cabs, but always wondered about keeping the head attached.

• 3 months later...

Thought I would update this having has the F112 for a while. I matched it with a Warwick LWA1000.

I wasn't expecting the sound to be as neutral as it was and to be honest at first I didn't like it. However as I got the hang of it and began to drive the 'colour' from my various basses I have really come to appreciate the difference you get from just plugging in a different instrument. Sounds obvious really but to some extent I have been used to plugging in basses and trying to make them sound different. With this you don't have to, not one bit.

Put a P bass in and you get P bass, and EUB it sounds like and EUB. You get the idea.

The rig is small , flexible and very loud but I prefer to use mine at lower levels and going out through the front of house.The cab is properly full range and responds across the whole spectrum. I did say it didn't have as much bottom as my AER AMP Three, that remains true. The AER is a sealed cabinet and almost unique for a small combo for thunderous bottom end. However, the F112 rig gets much bigger and loader and doesn't colour the sound.

The build of the cab is clean, sturdy and the drivers are of the highest quality. I love the wedge shape.

I am very happy with the rig and its a keeper.

[quote name='pmjos' timestamp='1490199228' post='3263183']
Thought I would update this having has the F112 for a while. I matched it with a Warwick LWA1000.

I wasn't expecting the sound to be as neutral as it was and to be honest at first I didn't like it. However as I got the hang of it and began to drive the 'colour' from my various basses I have really come to appreciate the difference you get from just plugging in a different instrument. Sounds obvious really but to some extent I have been used to plugging in basses and trying to make them sound different. With this you don't have to, not one bit.

Put a P bass in and you get P bass, and EUB it sounds like and EUB. You get the idea.

The rig is small , flexible and very loud but I prefer to use mine at lower levels and going out through the front of house.The cab is properly full range and responds across the whole spectrum. I did say it didn't have as much bottom as my AER AMP Three, that remains true. The AER is a sealed cabinet and almost unique for a small combo for thunderous bottom end. However, the F112 rig gets much bigger and loader and doesn't colour the sound.

The build of the cab is clean, sturdy and the drivers are of the highest quality. I love the wedge shape.

I am very happy with the rig and its a keeper.
[/quote]Dave Greenboy really knows how to design a no-compromise cabinet. In fact having learnt so much from the design of the BC 1x12, I think he is one of the few that does it properly.

Edited by Chienmortbb

I also went through a phase of missing the voicing of typical bass cabinets. The F112 is pretty even in response. I would say it has a huge low end, more than enough for just about anybody. I'm getting used to the cab now though.

The speaker used in the F112 certainly woofs very well indeed. Interestingly though, the Beyma SM212 we used in the BC 1x12 DIY cab goes just as low. I have both here and have measured them in the same cab. If I didn't roll my own, Greenboy's creations would definitely be at the top of my wish list.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1480275847' post='3183040']
Cheers :) I rather like the idea of tilted back cabs, but always wondered about keeping the head attached.
[/quote]
I discussed with the folks at Tricky the possibility of attaching a batten to the top surface, somewhere for the amp feet to locate in front to stop it slipping back, when I was speccing out a cab with them. They were most amenable and would, I'm sure, attach something along those lines if it was requested.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1490284375' post='3263951']
The speaker used in the F112 certainly woofs very well indeed. Interestingly though, the Beyma SM212 we used in the BC 1x12 DIY cab goes just as low. I have both here and have measured them in the same cab. If I didn't roll my own, Greenboy's creations would definitely be at the top of my wish list.
[/quote]

The BC 1x12 is going to be one heck of a cabinet then. There are some incredible lows out of the F112.

Again with the original Basschat 12 design which I've been gigging with for over a year it takes some getting used to. With a flat but extended bass response and no upper mid peak as per the majority of bass cabs it is odd sounding at first but responds really well to eq tweaking. Starting with no colour or very little lets you get to the colour you want. If your cab is coloured then it is going to be difficult to dial that out completely. It's a whole different philosophy to design, a cab whose design will give you 'your' sound and which effectively becomes part of your instrument or go for something that is flexible enough to dial in the sound you want.

Ironically having designed a neutral sounding cab I dial in something not too dissimilar to an Ampeg sound :)

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1490286007' post='3263971']
Again with the original Basschat 12 design which I've been gigging with for over a year it takes some getting used to. With a flat but extended bass response and no upper mid peak as per the majority of bass cabs it is odd sounding at first but responds really well to eq tweaking. Starting with no colour or very little lets you get to the colour you want. If your cab is coloured then it is going to be difficult to dial that out completely. It's a whole different philosophy to design, a cab whose design will give you 'your' sound and which effectively becomes part of your instrument or go for something that is flexible enough to dial in the sound you want.

Ironically having designed a neutral sounding cab I dial in something not too dissimilar to an Ampeg sound :)
[/quote]

Same. I put a pedal in front of it for colour - Zoom B3 - and use the Fliptop or SVT modes. Haha

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1490285779' post='3263970']
The BC 1x12 is going to be one heck of a cabinet then. There are some incredible lows out of the F112.
[/quote]Once I finish mine, assuming I get rid of the bug I currently have, I will be taking it to the South West Bass Bash. Hopefully there will be some feedback from there.

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1490286381' post='3263977']
Same. I put a pedal in front of it for colour - Zoom B3 - and use the Fliptop or SVT modes. Haha
[/quote]

That's the point of some of the newer designs, you can do that successfully, they give you choice. I'd imagine the Greenboy would be the same and the Mk2 design would be more flexible than the Mk1. There is a certain irony in making your hi-tech cab sound old school. Good for the back though :)

Edited by Phil Starr