Why become a member? ×

Greenboy 112 incomming - now which amp?

pmjos

I was searching fort the perfect small amp - and found it (AER Amp 3)

Now for something bigger - I have decided to order a Tricky Greenboy 112 and follow probably with a 2nd when funds allow.

I'm now looking for recommendations for a head.

I use a range of modern and vintage basses plus EUB.

Ideas please.............

A GK MB500 or MB800 will blow your sox off. My Greenboy Fearful 12/6 on its own with the MB800 was just magic. Huge tight lows, sweet mids and highs and all the grunt you could want. The only reason I sold the 12/6 was it weighed 18kg, not much, but my back is so bad I'm near a cripple, so changed to two 7kg Barefaced.

If you're using a mix of modern and vintage, the Genzler Magellan has one of the widest tonal palettes I've encountered, and the two channels (plus two filters) allow for very quick changes between them without a hatful of fiddling.. A ton of grunt, too.

I run a GK MB800 with mine, and have used Hartke LH1000 bridged. I also have a BagEnd 1000w power amp I'm going to try with just pedals feeding it. Not sure how big the venues are that you play, but I've never struggled with just one F112. :)

Do a little reading about amps for these, though. My LMII would start to compress when I asked too much of if powering the F112 at loud volume. My AI Focus 1 failed miserably where I thought it might shine. They are very clean, clear speakers and show up any amp distortion (not pedal distortion) pretty quickly. The AI sounded awful through the F112 but sounds fantastic through an EAD 3-way at 4 ohms. Go figure.

Edited by TPJ

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1473338856' post='3129267']
My first thought was GK MB500 too, as recommended twice above. Super clean amp.
[/quote]

I'd agree with this too.

I'll also throw the EBS Reidmar 750 into the mix. It's also very powerful and versatile. Not too expensive either.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

I have owned two F112's for a couple of years. I used a couple of GB Shuttles and want for NOTHING. Midrange is perfectly preserved and the cabs sound like PA speakers but with a little bit of extra bottom end definition regardless of volume. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. A couple of GK RB700 heads could be a nice compliment, with their boost control.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1475590607' post='3147164']
I have owned two F112's for a couple of years. I used a couple of GB Shuttles and want for NOTHING. Midrange is perfectly preserved and the cabs sound like PA speakers but with a little bit of extra bottom end definition regardless of volume. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. A couple of GK RB700 heads could be a nice compliment, with their boost control.
[/quote]

I played one of those cabs and amp at the bass bash of 2015 and can say that combination was killer, enough power and bottom end to kill a buffalo while keeping clarity. Lovely combination if you ask me.

[quote name='Mcgiver69' timestamp='1476278918' post='3152964']
Tell you something that combination hit the sweetspot for me. Congrats that's an amazing setup.
[/quote]
Thanks! They're the best cabs I have ever played through in 30 years of plonking. At 20kg each they're not exactly super light but they're very compact, superbly designed, versatile on big or small stages and seemed to more than hold their own at the cab shoot out which was held at the 2015 bash. With the Shuttles, you could even turn up to a gig in a sporty two seat coupe with one cab, a bass and head.

Have to say these cabs intrigue me massively too!
I've been told the 1x10 version put out as much bass as the 1x12, but just doesn't go quite as loud, I guess worth trade off for some to have smaller and slightly lighter cab.
Looking forward to hearing your review, but I'm going to have to get a shot of one of these soon...

Eude

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1476319611' post='3153360']
Thanks! They're the best cabs I have ever played through in 30 years of plonking. At 20kg each they're not exactly super light but they're very compact, superbly designed, versatile on big or small stages and seemed to more than hold their own at the cab shoot out which was held at the 2015 bash. With the Shuttles, you could even turn up to a gig in a sporty two seat coupe with one cab, a bass and head.
[/quote]

I think they didn't do better at the shootout because they are not coloured like the Bergantinos, Barefaced, etc.. These cabs much like the BFM show their worth when equalized. When you play them through an amp with all controls in neutral position they are totally flat and therefore not great sounding but when EQ comes into the equation well they're something else. I noticed that when playing through yours, they weren't that impressive flat just natural sounding but when I used the EQ that's when the magic came.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1476346980' post='3153438']
Have to say these cabs intrigue me massively too!
I've been told the 1x10 version put out as much bass as the 1x12, but just doesn't go quite as loud, I guess worth trade off for some to have smaller and slightly lighter cab.
Looking forward to hearing your review, but I'm going to have to get a shot of one of these soon...

Eude
[/quote]

I'm not going to bore you with my rumblings and let the maestro do what he's known for:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-YUbQyK5Ls[/media]

Here's a video of a more "real life" situation, the cab used in this show was build in the UK by Tricky Audio.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZTcw9f_wLM&feature=youtu.be[/media]

Edited by Mcgiver69

I keep toying with the idea of another F112 but I just haven't had a gig yet where I've needed more. Small and big stages, powered by a GK MB800, it's all there for both slab and DB.

Someone should snap up that F210 in the FS section, that's about the equivolent of a F115 but a different foot print.

[quote name='Mcgiver69' timestamp='1476361417' post='3153629']I noticed that when playing through yours, they weren't that impressive flat just natural sounding but when I used the EQ that's when the magic came.
[/quote]
I play mine mostly flat with a few db of boost around 250hz for better midrange definition and I back off the bass if I'm playing in a small room.

• 4 weeks later...

Update. My F112 arrives Sunday. I have decided it somewhat unfashionably to pair it with a Warwick LWA1000.
I decided on the Warwick because firstly it provides the power secondly its not 'ice' equipped and has an honest RMS output, thirdly twin channels as I play EUB and bass G, finally I always liked Warwick amps.

I will report.