Why become a member? ×

Hipshot A style Vs B style Vs Kickass

Sibob

I'm looking to replace the bridge on my JV Jazz, has anyone had experience of all three of the above?
Thoughts when comparing them all? Pros/cons etc?
I'm primarily a fingerstyle player who often plays Palm-muted.
I have a B-style on my Xotic and its fine, should I go for that, or is something like the Kickass a genuine step up?

Cheers
Si

Used both the hipshot A and B bridges. Both good bridges. But the A style is superior as you can adjust the string spacing. Although intonation is easier (less fiddly) with the b style.
The A style bridge mostly comes on higher spec basses I had a custom acg and another custom bass with the A style fitted it looked more classy than the B style if that bothers you.

Edited by Twincam

I think I'm edging towards giving the Kickass a try, it seems nice and smooth (no spikey bits for palm muting), and very adjustable, moreso than the otherwise very well thought of Badass. Also not weird seeing them on a Fender.
Seems like a no brainer?!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1473285425' post='3128798']
I'm looking to replace the bridge on my JV Jazz, has anyone had experience of all three of the above?
Thoughts when comparing them all? Pros/cons etc?
I'm primarily a fingerstyle player who often plays Palm-muted.
I have a B-style on my Xotic and its fine, should I go for that, or is something like the Kickass a genuine step up?

Cheers
Si
[/quote]

I bought a Hipshot direct Fender fit for J5 in brass/chrome finish. So so pleased with it over the standard Fender plate..which I've always disliked.
It top loads or string thru the body and it is a very nice piece of kit.

Fitted it in minutes and most of that was carefully unwinding the strings from the original. It has a larger plate surface area ( slightly) on the bass but lines up at the front of the old bridge perfectly.
I will keep the old bridge and sell the bass with it as completely original with no holes drilled.

Fender stock parts are pretty rubbish IMO.. but I MAY keep the tuners, and the pickups. The tuners need 2 friction screws (on order) and the CS pickups sound good thru a Glockekland Pre. The old stock Pre was pretty ropey.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1473423284' post='3130091']
I was taking a look on the Sims site, but couldn't find my way to any kind of accessories listings for sale?!

Si
[/quote]

He gave me mine the other day...and we went through the order box.. Give him a ring and if Martin answrers, say JT told you he had some in stock.
I'm pretty sure he had 4 stringers in the order... This was on Sunday.

These bridges are milled and not cast... which is another plus, and the grub screws sit low so they don't tear your hands apart from muting.
It seems rock solid as well..the adjustment is the same...and I believe the saddles sit a tad lower which is all good.

A HUGE improvement on the stock Fender, IMO...

Edited by JTUK

I've tried quite a few replacement bridges on Fenders. I think the Hipshot A is the best engineered one I've tried so far but it is big and quite heavy. Gotoh 201 is straight forward and chunky - probably the most cost effective. Schaller 3D I like a lot, I just put one on my JV Precision, very comfy for palm muting and easy to adjust. You only need 2 new holes - the centre one fits existing hole! Neither of them would show when you put the old bridge back. Didn't get on with a Badass, not that you asked about those.

I fitted a Kickass bridge recently as well. Drops right in a standard five screw mount and I don't think the setup could be easier. I was able to get my bass to play light as a feather within minutes, and it sounds and looks absolutely brilliant.

It's a bold hunk of metal, though, but I suppose that's part of the attraction for most.

I have an old badass I Bought used in 1995 on my 82 Jv squire jazz!! Always has felt and sounded great!!! Will deffo be trying one of these kickass bridges on my 83 tokai fretless jazz, as I love what these bridges do to a jazz, they just work. Never liked badasses on a P bass though, dont work IMO
To my point,kickass for me, if it nails the badass vibe :)

• 7 months later...

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1473693203' post='3132318']
Just waiting for Bass Direct to get them in stock, will report back :)

Si
[/quote]

Had a disappointing episode with Bass Direct recently.

Needed some Hipshot Tuners. Their site said they were in stock (every other supplier in the UK was out of stock), so I ordered and paid for them.

Their new, updated invoicing system send me an invoice.

Only problem was their system stops at that point.

A week later, they were reduced to looking through piles of Post Office receipts (you know, those with the impossible to read tiny text...) to see if they had sent them.

Turned out, they hadn't sent them, because they never had 'em in the first place.

They apologised, bless them, but said they couldn't be expected to keep their website up-to-date ALL of the time....Really?

Finished up getting some from Spain!

BTW, and on more on topic - just got a Schaller 3D Bridge to replace an old Fender. A Great Bridge, but let down by faulty grub screws that jam up in their threads. Luckily, the old Fender bridge I was replacing had much better quality grub screws, and they fitted perfectly.

:D

Edited by Root45